2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Duramax 4wd vs. my F150?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:29 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, I never noticed the nitrous.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:35 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Wow Terry, that really is an efficient auto...only 15% drivetrain loss. I've seen them usually above 20%...in the 20-30% range...never a 15% automatic. Impressive.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:58 AM
bbfl_336
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering what you thought about GM turning down CAT when they made them the offer to put thier diesels in the new chevys and gmc since you are a fan. Im not trying to be an butt I was just wanting to know what you thought was.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:04 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
I think that was possibly the worst move they had made engine wise since the late '70's 350 gas/diesel convert. CAT would have possibly given them a contender with the PSD. Ford had a betetr truck...but like with the Cummins, people would see CAT, and be all over it. They couldn't do it due to weight...and GM wasn't prepared to go solid axle. It's a shame, they could have introduced CAT into the light truck market.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:16 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
no i don't think CAT did their homework. because if they did, weight would not have been an issue. the duramax is making awesome hp, that only the dodge boys can top regularly. there are on a couple PSDs that can even touch the other 2's numbers. the CAT would have been a great marketing name, but from what i have heard, it is a lot of hype for nothing. Izuzu is probably more world know, more so than CAT.

By the way, how could the duramax be the worst?. The worst would have been staying with the 6.5 that wouldn't move. The duramax has moved market share up a lot not just a little.

I don't know how you can slam GM with it's worst engine move, after what the 6.0 cost ford.

THAT WAS THE WORST ENGINE MOVE NEXT TO THE 350 DIESEL OF GM.

Last edited by duramaximizer; 01-27-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:41 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by tmyers
I would tend to agree Nick as far as the Dmax dynoed at 270 unless it is a 4X2 model and a manual. There is no way you are going to get only a 10% drive train loss if you have a tranfer case and a auto. More like 20-25%.

My auto is the most efficient stock auto I have ever seen. My Vette is stock and has been on the dyno, 337/341. The manuals run about 20 more in both. That is rated 400/400 at the flywheel.

And you right it is the 4x4 that is getting these guys launched and that is the reason they are getting into the 12's. There is no way they could ever launch with a stock suspension setup with just the rear wheels with the amount of torque those engines put out.
Its funny, my buddy has an 03 Chevy 2500 DMAX 4x4 ext cab. He's running 35's BFG's on it, and I think 2 summers ago we went to New England Dragway to run his 69 camaro-that was all worked. He towed his enclosed traler all the way down there with tools in his bed. Anyways, after running the car he wanted to try the truck. With 700lbs of tools in the bed, he tried running in 2x4. He has a programmer, cold air intake, and catless/catback exhaust. With this he ran about a 15.5@87mph and was spinning the tires down 3/4's of the track, seriously. Then he put it into 4x4, brake boosted a little, and launched, he was racing a 02 Mustang GT coupe, and he beat it with a 14.0@99mph. I was definitely impressed with the DMAX after that-his mods were about $1500 in total, and he wasn't running the highest program because he didn't want to blow the tranny before we towed his 69 home.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:31 PM
MofW
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
the CAT would have been a great marketing name, but from what i have heard, it is a lot of hype for nothing. Izuzu is probably more world know, more so than CAT.

What are you talking about "it is a lot of hype for nothing" regarding CAT? My experience with heavy equipment and semis that are powered by CAT as been good. The only problem I was a part of (I was not running the machine at the time) was on a 3306(spacer plate engine) that blew a head gasket. Those engines were known for head gaskets and this machine, 973, worked it's whole life in a landfill with some degenerates running it most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I think the Duramax is an outstanding engine, but givin the choice between a CAT and a Duramax, I'll take the CAT.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:05 PM
mattsf250
Elder User
so, all you guys touting the new cummins as being the shizzle....

what are they runniing?

i drove an 05 here at work, had a bully dog something or other on max.....underhood box, not a programmer... lets just say i was less than impressed.
my 6 with just an scmt, and no muffler would kill it.... not to mention, i run 35's, and stock 3.73 gears.
granted, i have seen some dyno numbers, but yet to see a video, or come across one on the road that can keep up....im sure they exist, but where are these bad *** trucks?

and as to launching in 4wd..... i would NOT advise doing that in a chebby!!!!!!!!!!

if ya do, you are an idiot. no doubt about it.

the front axles on those pigs are seriously undersized.......as is the carrier and ring gear for that matter....

Old 01-27-2006, 06:48 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
no i don't think CAT did their homework. because if they did, weight would not have been an issue. the duramax is making awesome hp, that only the dodge boys can top regularly. there are on a couple PSDs that can even touch the other 2's numbers. the CAT would have been a great marketing name, but from what i have heard, it is a lot of hype for nothing. Izuzu is probably more world know, more so than CAT.

By the way, how could the duramax be the worst?. The worst would have been staying with the 6.5 that wouldn't move. The duramax has moved market share up a lot not just a little.

I don't know how you can slam GM with it's worst engine move, after what the 6.0 cost ford.

THAT WAS THE WORST ENGINE MOVE NEXT TO THE 350 DIESEL OF GM.
I was talking about the worst engine move in pickup trucks for GM since the 350 gas/diesel convert. CAT would have boosted sales like no other. CAT did not do their homework? That's a joke...CAT would have offered the smallest diesel that was already available...so place blame on GM. Theywould not build a truck with solid front axles. A Ford could have supported the CAT...but Ford has been in bed with Navistar since '83.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:30 PM
MofW
Mountain Pass
The 5.7L diesel was not a converted gas 5.7L. www.olds-diesel.com for more info.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:08 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
every cat i have been around has been a 3208, and i was far less then impressed with the engine.

so if they, CAT, offered the smallest diesel available, then why the heck did it have to weigh 3 ton. personally the duramax is too heavy now. you drive offroad in 4x4 territory, you might or might not get stuck with the diesel, but if your gas conterpart gets stuck, the diesel prolly won't pull out the gas, because the diesel will sink. the gasser on the other hand can't pull out the weight of the diesel. 2 gassers can go offroad, and if the other person gets stuck, atleast they can pull each other out. i don't want SFA. you guys can have it. let alone a heavy brick for a diesel.

guys this is still a truck. not a semi.

SO IF that is the reason, i can see why gm turned down CAT. they didn't design a motor that would fit with what they had.

BTW you can race in 4x4 and even boost launch in 4x4 stock, but if you are limping the allison, then odds are your tierod ends will break the allisons and the tie rod ends go at about the same hp levels. the rest of the 4x4 system will take the power fine stock.

THE FRONT AXILS ARE PERFECT unless you are running 39 inch tires and going to the truck pulls with a lift and the torsion bars cranked all the way up.

BTW this was a ford guy that said that on the DP. he said they chevy front end was weak. we never laughed so hard.

39 inch tires, a 6 inch lift, and God knows how many RWHP, and he blaimed the front end of the chevy for breaking, oh and he still had the stock tierod ends. that is prolly the only reason the axil broke to begin with.

Only thing CAT has is a name.

BTW there is a 7.8 liter inline 6 dmax.

when cat is put up against other engines in the same sevice life interval, it doesn't make since to own a CAT because they cost more to begin with, and you aren't guarateed any longer service life. the only thing you are guaranteed is that when it comes time to rebuild that diesel, it will cost you an arm and a leg.

my .02 is you are paying a lot for the name. it is stupid in my opinion.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:35 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
every cat i have been around has been a 3208, and i was far less then impressed with the engine.
Then you haven't been around a lot of CAT's...so this doesn't mean [SNIP] all.

so if they, CAT, offered the smallest diesel available, then why the heck did it have to weigh 3 ton. personally the duramax is too heavy now. you drive offroad in 4x4 territory, you might or might not get stuck with the diesel, but if your gas conterpart gets stuck, the diesel prolly won't pull out the gas, because the diesel will sink.
This is a ridiculous situation. Granted, a diesel will sink faster, that doesn't mean that it can't handle the mud. You can't predict all scenarios, and most likely there will be an anchor point that the free truck can use. Even if there wasn't, I don't see how the situtaion would be completely different. I'm starting to question your experience with anything at this point. I haven't had any trouble in deep mud with mine.

i don't want SFA.
That's fine.

guys this is still a truck. not a semi.
What does this mean?

SO IF that is the reason, i can see why gm turned down CAT. they didn't design a motor that would fit with what they had.
CAT already had a perfectly suitable engine already...all it would have taken was some re-tooling on GM's part, instead of CAT spending literally millions on designing, testing, and building a completely new engine that probably wouldn't allow CAT to see any profit from it for years. So...you still think CAT copped out?

THE FRONT AXILS ARE PERFECT unless you are running 39 inch tires and going to the truck pulls with a lift and the torsion bars cranked all the way up.
Aparently not if people are complaining.

BTW this was a ford guy that said that on the DP. he said they chevy front end was weak. we never laughed so hard.
It's nice when mass delusion sweeps over everybody...makes you feel less alone.

39 inch tires, a 6 inch lift, and God knows how many RWHP, and he blaimed the front end of the chevy for breaking, oh and he still had the stock tierod ends. that is prolly the only reason the axil broke to begin with.
Tie rod ends have nothing to do with axle strength. I don't understand how you arrived at this conclusion.

BTW there is a 7.8 liter inline 6 dmax.
Proof? This doesn't make any sense, since the Duramax is just a name that GM put over an Izuzu designed and built engine. There is no 7.8L inline Dura.

Last edited by BigF350; 01-29-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:28 AM
KICK
Senior User
once again I find myself dazed and confused.

thread starts out with a F150 against a Duramax.

after all the bench racing arguments get in here, it gets sophomoric and resembles the teenager and Ford Enthusiasts Comment that got me in hot water the last time.

?

Old 01-29-2006, 05:33 AM
KICK
Senior User

my .02 is you are paying a lot for the name. it is stupid in my opinion.
you've been around one product from a company that has a worldwide reputation for quality and performance and you've formed the opinion that you are paying alot for the name.

In my opinion you are stupid.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:56 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
Proof? This doesn't make any sense, since the Duramax is just a name that GM put over an Izuzu designed and built engine. There is no 7.8L inline Dura.
Um... They do.
Its available in anything from the C6500 up.
http://www.chevrolet.com/mediumduty/kodiak/c6500/

Quick Reply: 2006 Duramax 4wd vs. my F150?