Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Rack and Pinion on CAR...the Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:52 AM
chasitybray
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rack and Pinion on CAR...the Taurus

I have been to 4 mechanics, 5 power steering pumps and 2 rack and pinions since December 12 2005. No one can seem to find out why the r&p keeps going out and the pump keeps throwing the fluid back out. Can anyone please tell me what is going on with this car. I know this forum is all about trucks but lets see if anyone knows about a car for a change. year model 1999!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 05:43 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Sounds like poor quality parts, but I know a pump belches fluid until the air is completely bled out, I have a steering box, I have to either remove my tires or drag link to turn mine to the max right/left to get the air out.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like something elsewhere in the front end is overworking the PS system. Either that or a pressure relief valve is screwed up.

One of the possibilities I see in my near future is to take a shot at a service area job at a nearby ford dealer. That would give me access to a lot of tech info that I don't have now.

What kind of noises does it make? I expect it does make some...

Something else... Look at the metal lines on the rack unit and see if any of them have taken a stone hit that flattened or pinched one of them. If there is a restriction in one of those lines it will kill the pump and rack both.

Last edited by Greywolf; 01-25-2006 at 02:57 PM.