'02 Expedition Stereo Removal w/o breaking the Dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:22 AM
thepoeticjuan
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 Expedition Stereo Removal w/o breaking the Dashboard?

Hello Everyone!

Ever since we bought our '02 Expedition, I've had dreams of upgrading the stock AM/FM Cassette stereo with a Stereo CD player. The problem is that after mulling over the manual, I still can't get a straight answer for how to remove the beauty ring, that is part of the dashboard, that surrounds the stereo, so that I can unbolt/unscrew the stereo from the chassis? Am I supposed to slip a thin tool between the fit and just pry it out? the problem is that I'm afraid that I might break the beauty ring if it doesn't work? I did try to use the "U" shaped tool that inserts into the sides of the stereo, but I still couldn't pull the son-of-a-gun out! That is why I think that the cover or beauty ring has to come off first.

I could sure use some advice from someone that has some experience with removing/replacing a stereo in an '02 Expedition.

Thanks for the help!

thepoeticjuan

Old 01-23-2006, 09:47 AM
IPACA9
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That rinf will pop off quite easy. No screws to it or anything. After removal then use you radio tools to pull it out.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:25 AM
thepoeticjuan
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks a million KCAutosound.!

I'll have to give it a try when I get home tonight.
You know, the stock stereo is kinda wide, and so I thought to go with an OEM replacement, Ford stereo with a cd player (6 cd player?). And, I was hoping to pick up a used one off ebay. What do you think about that, or can you recommend a replacement that won't be too expensive? Also, if I replace the stereo with a different brand, what kind of face plate will I have to use to accommodate such a large area? Man, I hope I'm not asking to much, but is there a website that you know of that will show me some options?

Thanks again for all of the info!