Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust Install help???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:06 PM
anger65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Install help???

I just got a Banks Monster Exhaust and want to install it tomorrow morning.

I'm trying to find tips on removing the old exhaust, installing the new.

I'm most concerned with the Turbo area with getting the T.O.P out and new one in.

I'm sure this has been covered before, so as I search to find that thread, if someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just cut my old system off with a sawzall. it is nice to cut the pipe in front of the transmission crossmember. if you want to take the old system off without cutting it, you have to remove the transmission crossmember because the first joint is past the crossmember and there is no other way to get it off (sans cutting) without dropping the crossmember.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:43 PM
1984_355w
Elder User
I used the flame wrench. Surprisingly to me as well, removal and installation of the 4" dp was a lot easier than the rest of the 5"!

Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Aarkie
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just be careful with the downpipe and the dip stick to the transmission. You will need help with it.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:13 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
I hope your not installing the Power Elbow, because I would rather vomit in an ice cube tray and eat them all day rather than pulling the turbo. Some say it can be done on the truck without removing it, but I'd like to see that one. Even with the Turbo on the work bench I still broke two of those little sockets trying to break those bolts loose. I guess anything can be done, but Im not lookin to try that one again.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:11 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, just cut the old one off. I used a sawzall like stroking did. I tried to remove the clamps, but it was no hope. 4 years of road grime had taken their toll, and I had to cut it off to get the old system out. My old downpipe (TOP) came off rather easily. That V-band clamp may be a little stuck on though. You might spray some liquid wrench on it before you start to help get it off the stock system. Fortunately, I didn't need help when installing my system, the same Banks Monster Exhaust you have. There was plenty of clearance between the exhaust and the transmission dipstick. I didn't have to bend anything. Maybe I just got lucky.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 AM
anger65
Senior User
No power elbow here... I don't think I need it.

So when removing the downpipe from the turbo exit, do you just loosen the clamp, or do you unbolt the "housing" around the pipe?

Old 01-19-2006, 01:52 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be just loosen the clamp. The "housing" around the pipe I believe is just a heat shield that will not be used on your new exhaust. You could take it off if it facilitates the removal of the pipe. Just don't go loosening any bolts on the turbo housing itself.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:57 AM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Use the recipricating saw (sawzall) and whack that bad boy off just where it turns under the truck. By a case of beer and invite a buddy to come help, get the clamp off of the turbo exit/downpipe and wriggle it while prying it. THey tend to come together tight, so they dont just slide right off. Once you get it off, getting the Bank's exhaust on is pretty easy. Dont forget to chill the beer before you get your pal over there, or may leave you part way thru the job. Very important...you HAVE to have the beer for the job to go correctly!

Old 01-20-2006, 08:15 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 1984_355w
I used the flame wrench. Surprisingly to me as well, removal and installation of the 4" dp was a lot easier than the rest of the 5"!
Gotta get me one of those flame wrenchs!

Old 01-20-2006, 10:30 AM
anger65
Senior User
Got the beer, found a sucker... I mean buddy, to come help me out tomorrow.

Lookin forward to get it done! Thanks for the tips

Next project, Dohahoe Racing lift!