1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Northriver
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors

Just got back from the dealership from having them look into a engine mis that practically developed overnight. I didn't have time for them to pull the covers off to test the injectors but they did have time to check the harness and the other normal/simple diagnostic tests showed that everything is running normal. The technition said that it is probably a injector that needs to be replaced. He told me that a injector is $300. WOW!! If this is indeed the case, do you thing that I could replace it myself. And if so what type of injector should I look at or should I just go with OEM. I've replaced the Cam position sensor, glow plug relay and tension pulley myself along with all of the glow plugs. So I think I could do it unless it requires a special tool to replace it. Is $300 the going price for an injector, it seems a little pricey to me, Thanks, Todd

Old 01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
puffer
Senior User
i found some intresting things ever since i started to use this forum one thing i found out was there's beans injectors that u can get different stages for a awsoeme price like a stage one set is 675.00 for all eight. thats better than one for 300.00. and they claim about 350hp

Old 01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
i think you want to make sure its an injector first. a lot of times you will find the internal wiring will cause a problem like you state. also the injection control module can make a miss occur. try using a good dose of fuel conditioner first and try to clean up injectors.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Northriver
Junior User
A funny thing hapened on the way to work and on the way home from work tonight. On the way to work the truck burned almost 1/4 tank of fuel for about 17mile trip. It ran really ruff and idled terribly. On the way home from work to night it ran great, smooth until I got 2 blocks from home. Then back to the missing and rough idle. What gives? Are injectors hard to take out and inspect? Thanks, Todd

Old 01-18-2006, 09:58 AM
1997F-350
Postmaster
it sounds like some burnt wiring. although i dont think it would make your fuel mileage act like that.

if it was me. pull all 4 plugs on vc. inspect for burnt pins. see any?
pull valve covers. look at all wiring to injectors. see anything burnt especially where it plugs into vc gasket? do all this while truck is still warm. start up truck and go watch all injectors squirt oil out of oil spout. post back

Old 01-19-2006, 09:12 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
I might add 'LOOK VERY CLOSE' at each end of wiring harness plugs. Mine was burnt and didn't notice it the first time.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:56 AM
MikeFromShiloh
Senior User
this is a very common problem with the psd. my truck had a valve cover wiring harness problem causing it to run rough, kinda like a 53 studubaker running on 3 cylinder, for a couple miles and then run fine for the next couple miles. I was 20 miles from home when it started. I made the call to drive it home and just a couple miles into the trip it started running fine. Well, just a couple more miles and back to the rough stuff.

replacement is relatively easy job. like everyone else has recommended, inspect all the wires and plugs very closely.

good luck

Old 01-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Northriver
Junior User
Wireing harnes? I'm going to go check it out as soon as the rain lets up. Now from what everyones is talking about is it the gasget on the covers? If this is the problem is there something I can do to prevent this? Has ford come up with a better material to help prevent this? Thanks, Todd