1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

00 Brake Problem (Grind 'n Squeal)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:59 PM
SmaulzEB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 00 Brake Problem (Grind 'n Squeal)

The brakes on my 00 EB started squealing a bit and grinding (metal on metal sound) the other day, so I just figured it was time to change the pads; no biggie. Got started last night and noticed the old pads really didn't look all that bad, (still some meat left), but didn't really think much of it. Got everything changed and buttoned back up but during a test drive afterwards and still today, they're still grinding and squealing. The squeal isn't too bad, it's just once in awhile. But they still have that metal on metal grinding sound towards the end of the stop. (i.e. 30mph down to 10 or 15mph, not too bad, 10mph to a stop, it really grinds.) I'm at a loss here as I've never run into this before. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

[edit]
BTW, I'm referring to the front brakes.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Big Craig
Senior User
mine did the same thing, have the rotors machined and see a world of difference in noise and braking efficientcy

Old 01-16-2006, 08:48 PM
SmaulzEB
Senior User
If that's the case, I can do that, but they don't look like they need machined. They're really quite smooth and even looking. Also, it just started the other day suddenly, rather than increasing with time, does that make sense?

Old 01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Big Craig
Senior User
what I learned is you are putting a new machined surface (new pad) against a worn uneven rotor, when both are evenly smooth they will work together

Old 01-16-2006, 10:16 PM
SmaulzEB
Senior User
Right, I understand that. But that doesn't explain why the old pads, (that were still in pretty good shape) started grinding and squealing. That's what's confusing me. Anyone else have any thoughts? (BTW, thanks Craig for the input so far).

Old 01-17-2006, 08:30 AM
jared
Freshman User
In my experience on other vehicles, metallic grinding sound at the end of a braking is the rotors if the pads are ok. On a previous vehicle I couldnt understand how the rotor could possibly make that sound and went so far as to put a new caliper on....same sound. I put a new rotor on and the sound went away-- I then proceeded to kick myself for fretting over the sound for so long and putting the effort into the caliper installation. My advice: Either turn your rotors or get new. I think I got two turns out of the factor rotors on my '99. They were out of spec (<1.090") last time. A cheap rotor is $25/ea at Autozone, I went with the good ones at $50/ea. There are some nice slotted ones out there, dont know if people have experience with them or not, they go for about $120/ea. I believe PepBoys will turn rotors for $8/ea here in Indy. Most other shops in Indy are about $11-$13/ea for turning.