6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Reassurance of Dealer's Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:58 PM
grif95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reassurance of Dealer's Knowledge

I changed my oil last week (2004 F250 CC Fx4 6.0 liter) for the first time since purchasing my truck. Decided to order my filter off of Fleetfilter and bought 4 gallons of Delo from Wally World. I decided to change the oil at 5,000 miles (as recommended off FTE) instead of the DEALER's Sticker recommended change of 7,500 miles. Well, everything was going smoothly.... I drained the pan, took the filter cap off, and then had to take a step back and ponder what I was seeing.

I pulled the filter out and found a partially broken black plastic ring on top of the old oil filter. After a little comparison between the old and new, I realized what had happened. The Ford dealer, who last changed the oil, had placed a new filter in the housing with the broken cap that had pulled off the previous filter.

I had to take a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the top that was still snapped firmly in the oil filter cap.

I guess that I am the stupid one for not immediately changing the oil and filter on my truck when I bought it... Live and learn....that some dealers are incompetant.

I did keep the reminants of the old filter(s) just in case.....

Old 01-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Aarkie
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a fan of most dealers either. I bet they are paying someone $8 to $10 an hour to change oil in anything that comes in. It may have been his first change on a Powerstroke. Just hope he put the right oil in it.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:55 PM
rcdallas
Junior User
This is a prime example of why I do my own maintenance/work if possible, usually I make it possible or I'll take it to a buddy whom I personally know.

My cousin was just telling me a few days ago at this local oil change shop that when he worked there he was told that he really doesn't have to change the fuel filters if a customer request it to be changed; he says if its hard to get to or if you don't feel like doing it today just pick one up out of a bucket and make it look like you changed it. Same thing applied with differential fluid and even oil filters. Yet the customer still gets charged.

I learned this years ago when I went to a oil change place back in Plano, the guy didn't understand what I ment by priming my oil filter on my 99 powerstroke, then he had a tough time removing the filter, so I got under and took the damn thing off myself. To top it off they offered free window washing, they came out dirtier then what it was when I brought it in.

I don't blame him, he was new, but management.... they knew.

Last edited by rcdallas; 01-15-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
The biggest cause of this is not installing the filter into the lid (first), then placing it into the housing and screwing down. Many place the filter in, then just screw the lid down and hope that it seats correctly... which it doesn't and breaks the tabs off.

The manual for changing the 6.0L motor oil is...

1) Open oil filter lid and allow oil in housing to drain down into pan (open relief valve and up to 1 qt will drain down into lower oil pan.

2) Drain oil pan and allow to fully drain. By now, oil in oil filter housing has drained as well as the lid is off and filter is just sitting there.

3) Install drain plug back into pan and torque to spec.

4) Remove old oil filter from lid and throw away. Remove old "O-Ring" from filter lid and replace with new one that came with your new oil filter. Place new oil filter into lid until it snaps/locks into place.

5) With filter secured in lid, now place into housing and screw down evenly and until tight.

6) Add 13 qts of proper weight oil.

7) Start motor and let idle for a few minutes to fill oil filter housing and circulate )make sure pressure gauge comes up).

8) Shut off motor, wait a couple of minutes and check oil level on dip-stick. Add oil as necessary. Some prefer to be in the middle of the "hash marks" as to prevent foaming and romps. Do as you desire on how much to fill with.

Your done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Kerr
Junior User
i agree, however i do let the dealers change my oil on all my car, but i use the same dealer and keep all the paper work along with paying on a credit car and i staple that to the paper work they give you. So when something does happen its there puppy. No matter what car/ turck you have you always have a problem, I just find it fun when they say "well who ever did X the last time screwed it up not us!" Then you agree with them and say well i guess you all screwed it up and had them the paper work. They are not amused when you do this.

This did help me out one time though. My trans died in a Isuzu trooper at 59950 miles warranty out at 60K. I walked in and said my trans is broke. She started with " well sir you warranty is about up and what do is.... ah, computer said you have had all your service work done here ......... ill see if i can find a rental car...

Old 01-21-2006, 04:43 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aarkie
I'm not a fan of most dealers either. I bet they are paying someone $8 to $10 an hour to change oil in anything that comes in. It may have been his first change on a Powerstroke. Just hope he put the right oil in it.
friend of mine used to work as a porter a a new car dealer. they used to have him change the oil on cars all the time, cheaper to pay him $8 an hour. once they pulled him away from an oil change in the middle of it, a mechanic thought he was done and took the customers car out for a test drive, siezed the lower half of the engine. opps

Old 01-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Aarkie
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be a big OOPS!!! They are like any place else and will not pay any more than they have to. Sometomes they can get good help other times its no help. You cannot survive on $8 an hour unless you are living at home eith Mom and Dad rent free. I do most of my work and ask a lot of questions when I do have to take it to the shop. I seen dealerships that have won a lot of awards but have always gotten the run around from them if I tried to let them work on mine. Like the old saying goes if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. Which I will until I get too old or they get too complex for me to do it.