Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Glow Plug Relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:16 PM
papaducky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Glow Plug Relay

I have read the information on the previous posting about all the GPR's and still have a question... I have a 2002 F-350 PSD I am having problems starting at high altitudes on cold mornings. The truck stays mostly in the garage so it rarely see's cold weather.

I have checked under the hood, I have 2 solenoids that look identical, the one to the side of the fuel filter shows 12 volts on one large post and the 2 little posts, The inside solenoid show voltage on both large posts and only one of the small posts. The indicator on the dash cycles on then off but nothing changes under the hood. I would expect to hear something clicking or a difference in the voltage on the posts.

I have shorted the small post on the front solenoid to ground and it picks up the solenoid and then the other large contact shows 12 volts. I think I have a controller problem but not sure.

Can someone please tell me which solenoid is the Glow Plug and what the other one is??

Thank you

Old 01-08-2006, 09:37 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by papaducky
I have read the information on the previous posting about all the GPR's and still have a question... I have a 2002 F-350 PSD I am having problems starting at high altitudes on cold mornings. The truck stays mostly in the garage so it rarely see's cold weather.

I have checked under the hood, I have 2 solenoids that look identical, the one to the side of the fuel filter shows 12 volts on one large post and the 2 little posts, The inside solenoid show voltage on both large posts and only one of the small posts. The indicator on the dash cycles on then off but nothing changes under the hood. I would expect to hear something clicking or a difference in the voltage on the posts.

I have shorted the small post on the front solenoid to ground and it picks up the solenoid and then the other large contact shows 12 volts. I think I have a controller problem but not sure.

Can someone please tell me which solenoid is the Glow Plug and what the other one is??

Thank you
one is the GPR (near the fuel filter) the other is for the AIH(has large wire going to intake Y pipe for the heater element)

Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my O2 the GPR is the one nearest the firewall. The GPR shoud have a 1 yellow and 1 brown heavy gauged wire going to one of the big posts. The AIH relay, you should be able to follow the heavy wire straight to the AIH. Also, if you look at the plugs on the valve covers, you should be able to see the yellow and brown wires from the GPR. I hope this helps.

PSNut, I saw you posting on the GP thread, did somebody swap your relays? Or are mine swapped?

Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
[QUOTE=OrezonaPSNut, I saw you posting on the GP thread, did somebody swap your relays? Or are mine swapped?[/QUOTE]

Yours are swapped...hehehe! ...what are those Ford engineers trying to do to us? I guess this swapping thing needs looking into.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Ummmm,

I believe if we did a poll, we'd find that most are like Orezona's.

If someone's reversed, it's ...........

Pop

Old 01-12-2006, 06:16 PM
teamricker
New User
I had asked this on another thread but got no response. I have a 2001 Excursion and I am starting to get a hard start when cool. I only have one relay for the AIH.. The glow plugs have a silver box with 2 connectors. How can I test the box to see if it is operating correctly? Thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like a California vehicle (not that i've ever seen one). I think in the glow plug/hard start thread somebody talked about how to test it. Do like I did. Get a few cold ones, start at page one, and enjoy. It saved me about $50.