1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disassembling steering column to fix broken shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:45 PM
135crewchief
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disassembling steering column to fix broken shifter?

It seems like I have had one thing after since i have gotten my 93 bronco. Today i went to go to work and the gearshift broke. When i went out of park something broke and the shifter felt loose, but not free. It will slop around more than it should(normal) but doesn't travel the entire range of motion. The little bit that it does move is only from R to R, however it doesn't actually move the linkage to the transmission. After calling a few shops and going to a ford dealer. At the dealer a technician told what all the possibilities could be, and i think it is the plunger and rod inside of the steering column that connects to the gearshift. But i am having a hard time getting the column completely apart. I can't get the cover over the ignition. the other side of the cover is where the tilt is and it just screws off. So if i could get the other side off i would be able to get better access to investigate my shifting problem. How do i get the ignitions side of the column off? Has anyone else had this problem with the gearshift?
Thanks