Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Overhead vs. Pillar gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:17 AM
WVMiles
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead vs. Pillar gauges

I am looking at putting in gauges before I upgrade to exhaust, chip, tuner, etc. I think this is a logical choice so I can determine the difference every mod makes.

Anyway, I saw some overhead gauges on the dieselmanor website. I was wondering how these compare to the pillar gauges. I know the gauges will be the same, but I was wondering about harder wiring, routing, fit, if the lit gauges would cause a problem looking in your rearview mirror during night driving, etc?

Anyone that has compared the two set-ups, I would appreciate some feedback. And to all who post on this website, thank you. You all have saved me a lot of money this past year...

Old 01-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overhead is less obnoxious and less in your face but with good visibility of the guages so for driving the clear choice.

Pillar is easier to see and right there so you are more likely to notice any problems so for driving the clear choice.

It's just a personal preference. I went with the overhead. More descrete. I feel everyone arround me doesn't need to know I have them.

The most important thing is to have them.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 AM
sdpj
Senior User
personal preference i guess. i went with pillar gauges. super easy to install. i could care less if other people see them.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
I actually have both overhead and pillar. Look in my gallery. As someone else said the pillar gauges are easier to see with your eyes still on the road. I would recommend the pillar pod. I have guages that are not as crucial in the overhead pod and they are great there but I do not see them as much as I can see the pillar, those are the main three and I can see every move they make much easier. I f you do get the overhead I recommend getting LED bulbs from ITP diesel. They are a softer light and do not interfere with night driving as much.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:48 AM
cangim
Postmaster
I like my quad Apillar setup, and I also like the looks I get from others as well. Another option is there is a gauge pod that sits down by where the ash tray sits if you want to keep it really discrete.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Doesn't edge or somebody make an all in 1 electronic gizmo that can be pillar podded as well?

Old 01-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Yes it is the edge, you can also mount it over head as well. ITP diesel has that mount. In fact Dennis (ITP owner) has it in his own personal truck

Old 01-05-2006, 02:40 AM
SprintRacer26
Senior User
Will the overhead 3 gauge pod work with the lariat console? It doesnt look like there would be much room between the console and rearview.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:13 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Me
Doesn't edge or somebody make an all in 1 electronic gizmo that can be pillar podded as well?
had the edge, and didnt like it. didnt monitor True MAP boost (measured regulated), and it didn't allow transmission temp to be monitored. thats on ebay now, and i have gauges in the pillar as of now. couldnt be happier.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Originally Posted by SprintRacer26
Will the overhead 3 gauge pod work with the lariat console? It doesnt look like there would be much room between the console and rearview.
That's what I thought. I have a 2001 X and it fits just fine. I got it from diesel performance parts. great people to deal with IMO. the only drag is with the overhead in my X the top of the rightmost guage is obstructed so I turned it 90* to see the sweep. your overhead might be smaller i dont know, but it's no bigger. the guy i talked to @DPP has a personal truck set up like yours. it wont hurt to call them.

Edit: And if I were DPP I'd be pissed that the link this site creats on the typing of thier name is a link to someone else. Just plain seems wrong.

Last edited by Fords4Me; 01-05-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:35 AM
kabcpapc
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Me
That's what I thought. I have a 2001 X and it fits just fine. I got it from diesel performance parts. great people to deal with IMO. the only drag is with the overhead in my X the top of the rightmost guage is obstructed so I turned it 90* to see the sweep. your overhead might be smaller i dont know, but it's no bigger. the guy i talked to @DPP has a personal truck set up like yours. it wont hurt to call them.

Edit: And if I were DPP I'd be pissed that the link this site creats on the typing of thier name is a link to someone else. Just plain seems wrong.
There are two separate links. One is for Diesel Performance Parts (DPP) and the other is Diesel Performance Products. Maybe you clicked on the Diesel performance Products link.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
No, see how Diesel Performance goes green and has a bullydog link? I know it's a computer generated thing.

Last edited by Fords4Me; 01-05-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:24 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I just clicked through on both of these sponsors. They correctly go to their respective sites.

Pop

Old 01-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Fords4Me
Elder User
Pops, I was talking about the way the text I type gets turned into a link by keyword and doesn't recognize the sponser named but instead takes the first 2 words and makes that a link to a sponser, and the 3rd word another link to another sponser, instead of making all 3 words a link to the named sponser.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:09 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone here have the dash top mounted ones?

Quick Reply: Overhead vs. Pillar gauges