2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 noisy when climate control engaged

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 07:43 AM
bigblue80
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 noisy when climate control engaged

I actually posted this on another thread but my issue seems to be of a different variety.

Anyone have the same symtom and I'll right it off as a normal. I cut and pasted my previous post below.

ReForder, is yours noticable on the drivers side and what year is your truck? Also does it only occur when the compressor is on. When my 05' Lariat is rattling, if I turn off the AC "Climate control" the noise stops. This sound is above and beyond what I would call the normal injector ticking. The best way I can describe the noise is it sounds like a leaf or piece of paper touching a spinning fan or something. I'm thinking maybe it's not the cam phasers. Could just be something vibrating. Sometimes to help produce the noise I can apply the brake and slowly press the gas (soft power braking) basically adding frequency to the truck.

My first thought was a noisy EGR but apparently thats on the passenger side of the 5.4. Also there is a foam covered tube and a black sensor plugged into the value cover near the power steering resovior. The tube runs up by the back of the TB and sensor just has a pitail coming off it. Does anyone know if these described items contain any moving parts that could rattle?

Thanks Again
BigBlue
<!-- / message --><!-- no sigs except when logged in -->

Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 AM
FS-150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems as though the key is "it only occurs when the compressor is on", and "if I turn off the AC Climate Control the noise stops".

Have someone inside the truck turn the AC on and off while you take a look to see if something is rattling, rubbing etc. Maybe the noise is coming from the compressor itself, or the compressor clutches.

Note: the injectors on the 5.4 are a little clicky sounding, but if the sound changes when you turn the AC off, it doesn't seem like this is what you are hearing. Good luck, wish I could help more.