1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stock Rear-End

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Rear-End

I'm doing a frame off restore to my 55 f100, upgrading to a 351 and C4 trans, power Disk Brakes, new column T!@##$ power steering conversion, keeping the stock front-end and wanted to use/keep the stock rear-end? I was planning on using the stocker but noticed that the rear-end has a slight offset to the passenger side, was not sure if that will pose a problem or not. I researched the articles regarding which rear-end and I know that the best option was the 57-72 f100 but really wanted to use the stocker. Has anyone kept the stock rear-end? Any suggestions?

Thanks

David Miller.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The offset of the drive shaft to the right is common on truck rear ends. No problem. There is lots of room under a truck for the driveshaft to run at an angle and the offset allows the axles to be equal length. In a car, where the driveshaft needs to run down a tunnel, the axles are different lengths and the differential is offset to allow a straight line of the driveshaft.

The reason a lot of people change out to a 9-inch rear end (from the truck years you mentioned) is because they are pretty much bulletproof and there is a huge selection of gear ratios available for them. If you warm up that windsor very much and stand on it regularly, you may find the 55 stock rear end too weak to handle the hp. The your engine is basically stock, you should be fine.

Happy driving!

Last edited by Randy Jack; 12-29-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:35 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might also want to check the rearend ratio to determine if it will perform like you want, both city and highway.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:46 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LEckart
You might also want to check the rearend ratio to determine if it will perform like you want, both city and highway.
If you do any highway driving with that 351 and C4 you WILL want to change out the rear end. The original is probably strong enough but you will not be satisfied with the ratio. You will want something in the 3:00 to 3:50 range and your original is probably in the 4's.

Vern