2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Mileage Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Mileage Report

Don't know if this has been circulated for a while in that I am not in the forum all the time. Sorry if it is a repeat.

I wanted to hear how people are doing now that this model has been out there for a while so I want to hear from people with Greater than 75,000 miles on their trucks. Anyone out there with greater than 125,000?

I am the proud owner of an 04' Lariat 4x4 SCREW with the 5.4. It is a wonderful machine and so far everything except the AC has been perfect. I only hav e 17k on mine at this point in time.

Inquiring minds want to know so please write.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
My 04 Screw should have around 60,000 on it but because I live in a very hot area and the the A/C is such a POS, I wasn't able to drive it this summer. My 91 Bronco was used instead. I don't consider an A/C unit that blows 90F acceptable on a hot day. I also have the typical brake throb that they all have because of lousy rotors. Mine has had the common vibration come and go. It also has the typical axle howl that gets louder than the stereo at times. It still has the , for lack of better words, hesitation where you step on the foot feed and nothing happens. That is also getting worse but then again, like Ford has point blank told me: it's mine, fix it at your own expense. The interior still stains with common drinking water despite my having the inside steam cleaned and scotch guarded. The windshield is still the butt of many of the GM guys jokes as it is so distorted you can't hardly see out of it- but it's normal- ask Ford, I did. The light over the rear window still leaks water, thankfully it doesn't rain much here and I don't bother with washing it like I do the vehicles I own. Frankly, I could care less about this POS. It will be going away in the next few weeks and it won't be replaced with a Ford. I've had it. I've had lemons from them before but they always addressed the problems and made an attempt to fix it right. Like my Bronco- 6 transmissions in 16,000 miles- but they fixed it. Not so with this truck. And unfortunately, a lot of folks are in the same boat. The new F-150 is going to be the undoing of Ford. It's like the old Buicks, the only place it's worth anything is back at the same dealership. I've been to every other brand dealership and they flatly don't want the truck. Not a blemish on the outside and it cleans up just like a new one but no other dealer will take it at any ridiculous price. Last offer was $12,000. I would enjoy burning it in front of my GM friends for that kind of money. And no- GM won't be my next truck either. I think Ford had better get their head out of their backside and start taking care of their customers and dealers or somebody else will. That's why it's called a free market place.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:27 AM
week0019
Junior User
Hopefully we'll hear from someone thats had better luck than Flash. Anyone?

Old 12-28-2005, 09:06 AM
BBiffle
Junior User
I've got 37,000 on my 04 SCAB 4WD 5.4 with no problems at all. The seats do stain easily, but other than that it has been a great truck. I think alot of people's problems could be operator error, trying to make a truck a hotrod. Its a truck. Pulls the boat great and drinks the gas like its supposed to...

Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 AM
f150dude05
Freshman User
I've got 40,000 on my 05 Screw 4WD 5.4 Lariat with only problem of a dead battery at 30,000. I think it is a great truck and love it every time I get in. Also been treated well at service department. I have owned a dodge and a GMC truck in the past four years, and the screw is by far the best IMO. Plan to get another Ford next year, maybe superduty.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:13 PM
centexKR
Junior User
Find it amazing how when you get a lemon, the whole thing seems to be
bad. How can one vehicle get so fouled up and another one be perfect.

Had a first year Firebird with fuel injection. That car was junk. Overheated,
low power, only one injector worked, bad transmission, brakes went out.
It didnt even have 12K. Same with a first year Lincoln Navigator. It
would just quit running, down the street or on the interstate.

Than just traded a 02 Avalanche 4x4 with 94K nothing but oil changes done.

When I get car or truck with problems, just take my licking and trade it.
Really think some just cant be fixed no matter how hard the dealership
tries.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
Interesting we haven't gotten any real high mileage reports. I guess those guys trade their vehicles more frequently.

I do find it amazing that some people can have so many problems with their machines (Flash) and others (myself) have had so few.

I am convinced mine is a well built truck. If I can get the AC to where it needs to be, it will be close to perfect. I only have 17k on it but so far it is showing no real signs of wear. I don't have the seat stain issue because I have leather.

At this point, the biggest issue I have is that my wife and daughter would rather dirve it than their Infinity or Maxima. I am not kidding here. I often go out to find the truck missing ....

Old 12-29-2005, 08:47 AM
onamission
New User
I have 83,000 on my '04 4.6 4wd extended cab, and have had some of the common problems. I've had it since it was brand new and here's some info on what I've experienced:

--Had brake squeal since day 1. Went away finally at 30K. Original brakes and rotors lasted to 75K.

--Have back window rattle/squeak, but too lazy to take it back to dealer while under warranty.

--Rear end whine got so bad that I finally had the rear rebuilt at 80K to the tune of $1080, so if you have it GET IT FIXED UNDER WARRANTY!! It will get worse and louder and louder and louder...

--The cheesy Hankook tires lasted suprisingly to 75K.

--Have throttle lag problem, but dont want to get the reflash because I've heard that the gas mileage gets worse. BTW I average 17MPG

--Never had it aligned and it still drives straight as an arrow.

--Never had any vibration problems.

--LED lights for power window switches are out for the front windows.

--Rear ex-cab door latch broke where it connects to the top. $270 repair bill.

--Same tranny "slip/hesitation" since day 1 and has not worsened. Probably a computer progamming issue.

--A/C has always been very very cold, and it gets up in the 90's here in summer.

--Still a great truck overall. I tow and haul a lot with it for my job. Super-quiet now with the rear fix.

--Best Ford stock radio I have ever heard (single CD)

--Was going to get an '06, but the XLT 4x4 actually comes with less standard equipment than my '04 did, probably since Ford is in bad shape financially. Looking forward to getting an '07 FX4 possibly.

-If I can think of anything else, I will post. Hope this helps.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:27 AM
txfx4x4
Senior User
I've had my '04 FX4 2-years today. 31,xxx miles. During the first 5k miles, I had the slip yoke lubed, the rear diff rebuilt, and the power slider serviced under the TSB for rattling rear window. Other than that, the truck is perfect. I have owned 9 Ford trucks of various vintages ranging from a '63 F-100 that wouldn't do over 60 mph, 91 F-150 with a gas-gulping 351, and an '01 F-150 Super Crew. This is without a doubt the best truck I've owned. By far. I like everything about it. The A/C is not the best but is acceptable even here in Central Texas where 100+ degrees are common in the summer. No problems with the brakes, tires, vibrations, transmission, cam phaser knock, seats, etc. whatsoever. I would have accumulated more miles but it's not my daily driver.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
sawcut150
New User
Just sold 2000 F-150 5.4 with 217,000 miles and still ran great.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:49 AM
IBeam
Senior User
Originally Posted by centexKR
Find it amazing how when you get a lemon, the whole thing seems to be
bad. How can one vehicle get so fouled up and another one be perfect.

Had a first year Firebird with fuel injection. That car was junk. Overheated,
low power, only one injector worked, bad transmission, brakes went out.
It didnt even have 12K. Same with a first year Lincoln Navigator. It
would just quit running, down the street or on the interstate.

Than just traded a 02 Avalanche 4x4 with 94K nothing but oil changes done.

When I get car or truck with problems, just take my licking and trade it.
Really think some just cant be fixed no matter how hard the dealership
tries.
Funny you should mention Firebird. For here Birthday, I purchased my wife a 84 Firebird in 85. It only had 10k on it at the time. I finally pulled the plug on it a few months back and bought her a 04 GrandAM GT. Before we sold the car, it had 356,000k on it. I replaced or rebuilt everything. I painted it 5 times, and upholstered it twice. She loved that car more then me. In all that time, it only left us stranded once. It was in the middle of winter at her mothers house, and I can remember laying in the snow changing the fuel pump and cussing creation of the Pontiac.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM
skilife17
Elder User
My 97 F-150 4.6 4x4 has 176,600 and have had no major problems with mine. Just changed rear end fluid and oil the other day. Be changing transfer case and front diff fluid in the next couple weeks.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:01 PM
centexKR
Junior User
IBeam -- you get a good one its a good one. But that injected V8 in mine
was something else. Also the exhaust was so loud inside couldnt hardly
talk. The ponitac dealer never could figure that part out.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:18 PM
IBeam
Senior User
Originally Posted by centexKR
IBeam -- you get a good one its a good one. But that injected V8 in mine
was something else. Also the exhaust was so loud inside couldnt hardly
talk. The ponitac dealer never could figure that part out.
If you are from Utah, and had a Camero, I would say your my Neighbor. He has the Vintage condition Camero(85 I think) with the 350. It will run great, then all of a sudden it will just start spitting and sputtering, and smokes like a Tank. You can hardly get it to go down the road. He has replaced all the Sensors, the Computer, and the Injectors. It gives no error codes or nothing. He has had it in the GM Dealership several times. No one can figure it out.

Like you say, some are Lemons, and some are Oranges.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:20 PM
geomerc
New User
Tell your neighbor to change the fuel pump. He should see the pivot worn.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Report