6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Pyrometer Band-Clamp or Drill and Tap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Milwaukee,WI
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pyrometer Band-Clamp or Drill and Tap?

What is better?

The drill and tap goes into the manifold correct? The Band-clamp style on the up-pipe to the turbo?

I want to go with the Autometer Lunar Pyrometer. Anyone know what that comes with?

Old 12-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I don't know about the Autometer product but drill and tap on the driver's side exhaust manifold is the way many of us have gone. Preturbo mounting of the probe gives you a more responsive and more accurate reading of EGT.

Most just do the drill and tap with the manifold still on the truck but a number of us have gone to the trouble to remove the manifold and do the drill and tap off the vehicle. It's not that hard to do.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:22 PM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post drill, no tap

here is what i did.. i was going to weld a fitting onto the exhaust behind the turbo, i saved that for plan B ...because once you put a hole in you exhaust. you stuck doing it, so i had very little room to work as you know i got a really long drill bit.. i would say it was about 15 inchs long.. got some where home depot or someplace.. anyway right behind turbo, but not on turbo maybe 2 inchs behind, but before my exhaust wrap started .. i drilled a hole . long bit was great because no room for drill...so then i put the clamp around prob.. had to us 2 because the one that came with it was only 3in.. so i add one and i also used a around part off of another exhaust gasket, for a gasket and screwed down clamp, worked great and no leaks.. if it had leaked then i was going to weld fitting over hole but little room to work, so did not want to try this
... anyway email me if you want and i will send pics of work
chad
chadjones99 @ direcway.com (no space's)
(Click Here to find out why email addresses are removed from posts.)

Last edited by chadjones99; 12-24-2005 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Jank
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daryl Hunter
I don't know about the Autometer product but drill and tap on the driver's side exhaust manifold is the way many of us have gone. Preturbo mounting of the probe gives you a more responsive and more accurate reading of EGT.

Most just do the drill and tap with the manifold still on the truck but a number of us have gone to the trouble to remove the manifold and do the drill and tap off the vehicle. It's not that hard to do.
This might be a stupid question but what about the metal shavings from drilling into the manifold while it's still attached to the engine, won't these hurt the turbo?

Old 12-24-2005, 10:42 PM
jello
Senior User
I have the lunar pyro gauge. I think it came with both mounts. I drilled the manifold on the truck. No problems, just go slow.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Pittsburgh-05HD
Senior User
heres a pic of mine, i think the same as you are looking at...went with the band on the manifold

http://home.comcast.net/~mjs122276/w...e-skip-30.html

Old 12-24-2005, 11:19 PM
EPDP99
Elder User
is it best to drill the bottom because that would be the easiest to get shavings out or due to space its not capable unless off the truck?

Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Jank
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahh... now it's starting to make sense... thanks for info

Old 12-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
There are a number of posts where guys discuss their methods for dealing with the shavings when the manifold is drilled. Some use a greased swab and wave that around inside the hole after it is drilled and some just have the truck idling and it blows out the chips as the drill is cutting through.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:53 AM
redrock233
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is alot easier to remove the manifold and drill when removed. Just remember to mark where you want it before removing it will work better.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:01 AM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Wink meter install

ok, listen drill behind the turbo, there for no shaving go into they will just go out the exhaust. and I was reading the info that came with my meter it says " on turbo engine's mount behind turbo on exhaust pipe.. on no turbo mount to manifold " so this is what I did. no shaving going through the turbo. as if it fail's they will say you did it and no warranty !

Old 12-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Milwaukee,WI
Tuned

I was reading the info that came with my meter it says " on turbo engine's mount behind turbo on exhaust pipe
And the speed limit is 65 too...

Old 12-26-2005, 07:30 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chadjones99
I was reading the info that came with my meter it says " on turbo engine's mount behind turbo on exhaust pipe.. on no turbo mount to manifold " so this is what I did. no shaving going through the turbo.
this is a post-turbo reading and your max temps are a couple hundred degrees lower than pre-turbo readings which probably most people on this site refer to and use.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Banshee Ben
Senior User
pyro's are meant to be drilled 4-6" after the exhaust valve in the head, on 2 strokes you actually place them where visually the pipe flame changes color internally. After the turbo you are getting a cooler temps and the temps are also regulated by the turbo, any faster change will be averaged out because of the large area of the turbo. They might tell you after the turbo because of the shaving issue. Remove manifold is the best, other wise grease drill bit and vacuum as you drill; it only takes 1 bad misguided shaving to wedge in the o-rings.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:43 PM
chadjones99
More Turbo
Exclamation

right now with no load and no program i am getting 4-6 hundred deg while driving and 250-300 at idle, under hard drive it does not go over 700 , with no load and no program, so does this sound right or does it sound like it is way cooler because i am after turbo ?

Quick Reply: Pyrometer Band-Clamp or Drill and Tap?