Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How Much Boost Will My '00 PSD Handle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How Much Boost Will My '00 PSD Handle??

I've done some searching, but can't seem to find an answer. I'm wondering how much boost will my 2000 Powerstroke (late build) handle, without changing internal parts like pistons, rods, etc?

I've heard that the connecting rods and head gaskets are the limiting factors on the PSD. But, I'd like to know how much each one is capable of before breaking or blowing out. What if the heads were O-ringed?

Thanks for the great forum. I've gained a lot of knowledge from you all, and avoided some costly mistakes too.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:59 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
your 2000 has forged rods which is good. the turbo is rated at 25psi but alot of people run them up to 30-35 psi for short spurts with no real problem ( i have been doing it for 4 years now). you will blow out the stock head gaskets at around 40 psi

Old 12-22-2005, 10:28 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
What about the rods? How much boost will they take before they snap? Say I were to have the heads o-ringed: how much boost will an o-ringed head handle?

There's 150,000 miles on the stock turbo, and I'm thinking of replacing it with something that can run more boost. This PSD is no longer my daily driver, so I've got some time to make big power, but I'd like to know where the weak points are in these diesels.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
First verify whether you have early forged rods or later powdered metal rods. Second, boost just clears up smoke. Power is made by fuel. It is not like a gas engine and there is no air fuel ratio. I personally would try a dual HPOP with custom tuning by Jody at DP Tuner. Then if you still need more, get a set of injectors. Then if you are making tons of smoke, get a new turbo. The Hypermax seems to be a good one from what I've read online. There is also the new Aurora and claims of 60psi... Wowzers.

Just my two cents.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:22 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I know that I'd need fuel to make power, and I can make that happen. But more fuel will also result in more boost. I want to know the limits of the stock block and parts. Where are these engines the weakest?

I'm also trying to help settle a bet, and still have questions. One of them has been answered (stock head gaskets blow out at 40 lbs of boost), and thank you wlihntr for that.

Unanswered questions:
1) Forged rods. How much boost will they take before they snap?

2) O-ringed head gaskets. How much boost will they take before (or if ever) they'll blow.

3) Any other weak parts that would fail as a result of too much boost?

Someone on this forum has to have some idea to help settle this bet.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Sorry.

Factory forged rods, from what I've read on many forums, will hold up to 500 hp or so, it's not really a function of boost, again from what I've read. Crower makes some aftermarket rods if you're going higher than that. The powdered metal rods don't like to go over 400 rear wheel hp.

I've never read about o-ringed head gaskets failing, even up to 55+ psi.

The other parts that can't stand it are the bolts that hold the heads down. You need studs. Also the boots that connect the piping to the intercooler will pop off for sure. Dieselsite carries beefy aftermarket ones. Others will probably chime in once they get done with their last minute shopping...

Oh yeah, you're going to have to address the trans as well. If you have an auto, get a new one from BTS (Brians Truck Shop) or have yours rebuilt. It will not handle the extra power. If you have a stick, get a custom clutch from South Bend or Carolina Clutch or something like that.

I hope that helps. I've never done this stuff, but I've been reading the forums for years and years...

Old 12-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 804 Likes on 614 Posts
Envy.... A man can dream....

Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
I know that I'd need fuel to make power, and I can make that happen. But more fuel will also result in more boost. I want to know the limits of the stock block and parts. Where are these engines the weakest?

I'm also trying to help settle a bet, and still have questions. One of them has been answered (stock head gaskets blow out at 40 lbs of boost), and thank you wlihntr for that.

Unanswered questions:
1) Forged rods. How much boost will they take before they snap?

2) O-ringed head gaskets. How much boost will they take before (or if ever) they'll blow.

3) Any other weak parts that would fail as a result of too much boost?

Someone on this forum has to have some idea to help settle this bet.
1) It's not so much a matter of how much pressure is applied as when it is when it's applied. Your stock forged rods can hold 50psi and 500HP easily as long as the pressure is applied after TDC.

2) Like Fat Diesel was saying....with a set of high end head studs even stock headgaskets can hold over 50 pounds of boost.

3) Goes back to #1. Excessive pressure too early can shatter a piston just as easily as it can bend a rod.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:23 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
No apology needed, Fat Diesel. I probably wasn't too clear on what I was attempting to find out. Thanks guys!! That's what I was looking for. I really appreciate your input.

I do plan on having some trans work done (it's an auto ) but one step at a time, so it may break before I can get it rebuilt.

1) It's not so much a matter of how much pressure is applied as when it is when it's applied. Your stock forged rods can hold 50psi and 500HP easily as long as the pressure is applied after TDC.
cookie, how would a person go about assuring the pressure is applied after TDC? A cam change?