Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locking hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Treker58
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=Swagtastic;1116434 The ONLY bad thing is that they don't stick out as far as the stock ones and now the plastic covers look bad. I can live with that.[/quote]
Same with the Warns was thinking about belt sanding down the plastic lug cover down 3/8's of an inch and then the cover would be about flush with the lock outs

Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 AM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was discussion about using the locking tabs from an f150 center cap or something like that. Maybe someone else will remember about that and chime in.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:39 AM
the ponz
Senior User
milemarker/warn hubcap fix

Originally Posted by Swagtastic
The ONLY bad thing is that they don't stick out as far as the stock ones and now the plastic covers look bad. I can live with that.
I would be concerned about having mud and other debris fall in through that space.

Here are two solutions. I've never tried either one.

Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...nual-hubs.html

Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 AM
fatherdano
Senior User
OK, if my 4x4 is not working it is because of

1. The hubs will not engage due to vacuum leak?

2. The hubs will not engage due to being locked up?

My 4x4 worked at some point last winter, now it doesn't. The drilling method for lubricant?

Exactly where to i drill? How big a hole do i drill? Can a self tapping #6 x 1/2" screw do the trick?

What kind of lubricant?

The manual solution of locking the hubs is not an option right now due to the inability to turn the locking hub at the wheel.
Once the existing hub is lubricated and able to turn by hand, should i be able to have 4x4 by manually locking at wheel and activated the esof indoor switch.?

If there is no vacuum leak and its just the hubs sticking would the switch be able to perform as normal in the auto mode once freed up?

Does the switch itself ever go bad?
Has anyone ever had to open up the dash to replace it?

My light goes on in the dash undicating i have 4x4 but it is evedent i don't.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 PM
fatherdano
Senior User
ttt

ttt

ttt

ttt

If after you get the oem hubs free and the indoor switch does not work does that mean its a vacuum leak?

Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Verify that the hubs are not locking. With it IN 4x4, reach behind the wheel and try and rotate the axle. If the hub is engaged, the axle won't turn. If you have it in 4x4 and the axle spins, then the hubs aren't locking. There is also a switch on the transfer case, too.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fatherdano
OK, if my 4x4 is not working it is because of

1. The hubs will not engage due to vacuum leak?

2. The hubs will not engage due to being locked up?

My 4x4 worked at some point last winter, now it doesn't. The drilling method for lubricant?

Exactly where to i drill? How big a hole do i drill? Can a self tapping #6 x 1/2" screw do the trick?

What kind of lubricant?

The manual solution of locking the hubs is not an option right now due to the inability to turn the locking hub at the wheel.
Once the existing hub is lubricated and able to turn by hand, should i be able to have 4x4 by manually locking at wheel and activated the esof indoor switch.?

If there is no vacuum leak and its just the hubs sticking would the switch be able to perform as normal in the auto mode once freed up?

Does the switch itself ever go bad?
Has anyone ever had to open up the dash to replace it?

My light goes on in the dash undicating i have 4x4 but it is evedent i don't.
Do a search in here for all your answers. Just drill a little hole in the recessed part of the dial and let it sit in atf overnight in a bowl; for your sticking dial. You can also take them apart by turning the dial a little past lock after the hub is out and apart..

Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM
excursionjohn
New User
Hey guys, I have been lurking around a while after purchasing a used 2000 Excursion. This thread came in very useful as my passenger side Locking Hub went out and needed replacing. My local auto parts store had both the Mile Marker ($169.00) and Warn ($229.00) units in stock and I had the opportunity to do a comparison of both units. While I'm sure both are fine, the Warn unit was better constructed with solid metal 100% Spline contact surfaces, where as the MM has radius cut outs for the assembly bolts, which added up to approximately 20-25% less surface area than the Warn units. Installation was a breeze,(pliers, hex head wrench and rubber hammer) and I decided to leave all vacuum lines intact and in their original configuration. Everything works like a charm now, thanks for all the information that's been posted here.

John

Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by excursionjohn
Hey guys, I have been lurking around a while after purchasing a used 2000 Excursion. This thread came in very useful as my passenger side Locking Hub went out and needed replacing. My local auto parts store had both the Mile Marker ($169.00) and Warn ($229.00) units in stock and I had the opportunity to do a comparison of both units. While I'm sure both are fine, the Warn unit was better constructed with solid metal 100% Spline contact surfaces, where as the MM has radius cut outs for the assembly bolts, which added up to approximately 20-25% less surface area than the Warn units. Installation was a breeze,(pliers, hex head wrench and rubber hammer) and I decided to leave all vacuum lines intact and in their original configuration. Everything works like a charm now, thanks for all the information that's been posted here.

John
Excellent first post!

Welcome to FTE.

Stewart

Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
excursionjohn
New User
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be back, as I'm sure that this is not the last repair/modification that will need to be researched and discussed.

Cheers

John

Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
Man, these hubs are not rocket science folks! If you have the money he the warns. I actually had one become stuff to turn. Called warn, they over nighted a new set. No questions asked. Im sure with the mile markers when you call bejing, they will gladly reciprocate.... I also get a kick out of who ever it was asking how to work the 4x4. It's simple. The hubs have to lock to lock the wheels on the axle. The switch on the dash engages the transfer case. If your auto lock system failed like all of ours did your hubs won auto lock when you use the dash switch. Thus forcing you to get your penny loafers and socks wet in inclement weather when you have to get out and lock the hubs. Then you must turn the selector switch to 4x4 on the dash. Why would you think that by merely turning your hubs turns on 4x4? Just because you screwed in a new light bulb doesn't mean it will turn it self on, you need to also flip the switch.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bananarama
Man, these hubs are not rocket science folks! If you have the money he the warns. I actually had one become stuff to turn. Called warn, they over nighted a new set. No questions asked. Im sure with the mile markers when you call bejing, they will gladly reciprocate.... I also get a kick out of who ever it was asking how to work the 4x4. It's simple. The hubs have to lock to lock the wheels on the axle. The switch on the dash engages the transfer case. If your auto lock system failed like all of ours did your hubs won auto lock when you use the dash switch. Thus forcing you to get your penny loafers and socks wet in inclement weather when you have to get out and lock the hubs. Then you must turn the selector switch to 4x4 on the dash. Why would you think that by merely turning your hubs turns on 4x4? Just because you screwed in a new light bulb doesn't mean it will turn it self on, you need to also flip the switch.
whew.....

Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Easy there 'nannarama.

Put on another CD.......

...pour yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, take a deep breath and relax!

Stewart

Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's nice that you automatically know everything, I wish I was born like that.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by EXv10
It's nice that you automatically know everything, I wish I was born like that.
I was, Brent!

Well, actually, between me and my brother, we know everything.....honest!

Gwan, ask me anything!

Stewart

Quick Reply: locking hubs?