1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Hard shifting tranny?????? how to adjust the clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 02:22 PM
engineguy33
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hard shifting tranny?????? how to adjust the clutch???

Hi there

Well this is the third tranny I have put in this month I'm sich of it. This one seems to work fine no noises thik the others but it shifts real hard. I have left the clutch the same as I had it in the other tranny and they shifted better. I put a lucus oil in maby 2 quarts would it be to thick and cause the tranny to shift hard?? what is a good oil to use in a new process 435 can I use synthetic or not worth it??? also how do I adjust the clutch properly as it works but I want it exactly the way it is suposed to be.
thanks for the advice
oh this is on a 69 f250 crew 360 4 speed
take care
engineguy33

Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
jor
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just use 85 weight gear oil. It's a bit stiff in the cold when you first start up but once running, it's fine. Your clutch adjustment just affects when and how far the clutch disk is moved off of the fywheel surface. If it's not adjusted properly your clutch will slip when you are in gear or your transmission will chip into gear and be hard to shift into gear. If the latter is your problem, you can fix it with the clutch adjustment. Just adjust it so the pedal has an inch or so of free play and it should be about right. Good luck.
jor

Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 AM
ramtoo
Senior User
Did you check the pressure plate springs? Mine were broken and missing making the clutch not fully disenguage and it was hard to shift, Any repair manual can tell you how to adjust the clutch, if to tight the throwout bearing will be spinning on the pressure plate fingers

Old 12-16-2005, 07:45 PM
FEmtnmax
Senior User
The first two posts are correct. Adjust the clutch for 1-2 inch free play at the pedal. Clutch should engage half way or less above floor. If still having shift problems could be a weak pressure plate. Twice I have seen pressure plates that had weak release forks. Put in a new clutch disc and pressure plate, and don't use one of those cheap diaphragm pressure plates, always use one with the individual coil springs.