Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

6.0 is a monster

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:02 PM
emxmagnum
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 is a monster

Having heard every bad thing ever said about any engine said about the 6.0, I have had a hard time convincing myself that the 'stroke is even worth looking at. After this past weekend, however, much of my doubt has been erased.

First and foremost, I know about half a dozen guys with 6.0s. All have put good mileage on the engines and the only one who has had any trouble runs a SCMT and races his truck constantly. I live in a small town, so I do not believe that 5 of 6 engines having no trouble is any type of fluke. From the stories that you read, especially on this site, one would think that 5 of every 6 6.0s has a problem, major or minor, but I just dont think thats true. These guys have had 0 problems with their trucks...and they dont baby 'em.

That said...this past weekend, I drove my friends new 06 250 4X4 PSD Auto.

The thing flat out jets! I have never experienced a bone stock truck with that much power before...even though I have ridden in an 04 DirtyMax plenty of times, as well as a 05 Cummins. I dont know how accurate the boost guage is, but I managed to get the needle past the 20 psi mark and my friend said he had it to the 30 mark when towing. Pretty impressive for a stock engine.

As is customary with my group of friends, any time one of us gets a new truck we all have to race. (That is except for me as I am completely outgunned in my 4.6l 150. I have raced in the past, just didnt see the need in eating any more diesel smoke) So, we have an 06 250 6.0 Auto 4x4 vs an 05 2500 Duramax Auto 2wd vs an 05 3500 Cummins 4x4 6 spd. The Ford and GMC are both stock but the Dodge has had significant modification and puts 475 hp to the wheels. The Ford ate the other two alive! While Im not sure that the GMC driver new what was goin on, the Dodge driver has raced dozens of times and pulls trucks for a hobby...he knew what he was doing, but the 6.0 just walked away from em!

Oh, and the Ford also beat a 12 vavler with the fuel turned up...he was about 8 lengths ahead of the Dodge by the time he got to 4th gear. Even more impressive was the fact that before they raced he was doing a burnout....and shifted through 3 gears with a wheel speed of about 65mph w/out power braking!

I am completely amazed by that engine. From what I can tell, it has no real durability issues (only 1 out of the 6 that I know of with any troubles and its not stock) and it makes more power than I could ever use. Having previously driven the 7.3 PSD, I was amazed at both how quickly the turbo spooled up, the low end power, and how well the tranny performed (notably better than Allisons I have had experience with, esp under hard acceleration).

Like I said, I have heard alot of bad things about the 6.0 but after my experience a couple days ago, I wont be listening to much of that any more.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of those stories are sour grapes from '03 owners and others who have just been victims of the rumor mill. Others will complain about b/s issues and things that aren't even related to the engine yet blame it because it seems the 6.0 is the scapegoat of the Super Duty.

I have had no trouble with my '04 6.0. No problems other than not being able to let it rest, it is so much fun to drive! Never even grunts when loaded down either.

In reference to the transmission remarks, the Torqshift has far superior fluid flow and torque management program to the Allison, despite having smaller components. Again, I love my PSD/TS combo, they were made for each other.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
omnemica
Freshman User
I also read about all the horror stroies involving the 6.0, but of all the people i know who have them (6) none of them have had any major problems, they are all 04/04 though, i think the problematic ones are 03

Old 12-14-2005, 02:23 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is exactly what we need. Some truth through all the rumors, and bs. Thanks for the report on that wicked truck!

Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 AM
flashman1
Junior User
Old 12-14-2005, 09:29 AM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
My dad has a late year production 03 with the 04 motor in it and has zero problems with his 6oh. Its got 4inch Banks monster exhaust and a custom tuned ExcalibratorII. It will flat get it in tow mode with a 14,000 pound 5er out back and is wicked fast with the high horse setting. Nothing like picking on kids in a 4wheel drive bright red crew cab dually

Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Batgeek
More Turbo
I'm glad somebody brought it up. My company was buying nothing but Fords until we bought three new trucks in 2003. Two of the three gave us problems the only one that did not one of the guys wrecked. The problems we had turned out to be somewhat minor sensors, injectors, and egr's none of the turbo and other problems you here about. Our biggest problem was with the local dealership's service. They seemed completly untrained in how to work on these trucks. Even though they had a sign out by the street saying Ford trucks they seemed to be more of a car dealership. They only had one guy that would work on the diesels and he only worked three days a week and to quote the service manager"most of the guys don't won't to work on the diesels because they're dirty". Imagine that a mechanic that doesn't want to get dirty. Most of the people I talk to that have had problems with there trucks would have been happier if the dealership would have treated them better. When you have to wait three weeks to get an apointment and another two weeks to get your new $36,000 truck back you tend to get a little upset and the problems seem to be bigger than they really are. Just like the story on the link when they start turning down your warranty claim saying your air filter is dirty or it looks like you did some mods Dodge and Chevy start looking better. I believe alot of the stories of problems with 6.0 would have been prevented if some of the people would have received better service from Ford.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:34 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw the Autoweek article and it is very interesting. No, the problems with the 6.0 are not "myths", they are very real.

One of the reasons that I went with a Cummins over the 6.0 (and the D'Max) is what the Dodge doesn't have:

Variable vane turbo
EGR
Oil-fired injectors
Glow plugs

Those are all complicated devices that operate properly only when everything is just right. If anything is off, even a little bit, the engine runs like crap.

People make their own choices. For me, reliability was crucial. My truck is my tower, not my driver. If my truck breaks down, more than likely it will happen 500 miles from home, heavy trailer in tow, with $20k-$30k of collector cars on the trailer.

BTW - I have doubts whatsoever about my 2003 X 7.3 PSD.

Last edited by jschira; 12-14-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Batgeek
I'm glad somebody brought it up.
One of the usual suspects always manages to sniff out any positive post about the 6.0 and pontificate about it's issues.

I don't understand that mindset.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:16 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Dodge has had significant modification and puts 475 hp to the wheels. The Ford ate the other two alive!

Ok guys i think the BS is getting a deep in here, QUICK somebody pass me the oxygen mask!!!!!

Old 12-14-2005, 06:28 PM
309Ford
Senior User
I'd have to agree. If the Dodge truly had 475 HP at the wheels the stock 6.0 ain't gonna outrun it. That would be about 500-525 Hp at the flywheel.

Or, he lied about the horsepower and was good at powerbraking (a fake burnout, in other words).

A stock 325 Hp 6.0 will outaccelerate the stock 325 hp Cummins, true, a function of how the engines are set up-the Ford will rev higher. But trust me, you aren't gonna make up a 175 hp flywheel advantage and outrun a Cummins that truly puts out that much power. Physics can't be denied-a truck that has 54% more horsepower than the one you drove ain't gonna be slower. Most likely you'll get your doors blown off.

Best guess is the Dodge guy seriously lied about the modifications he put on his truck. A 475 RWHP Dodge would show a stock 6.0 Ford its tailights all the way down the track.

Don't take this the wrong way, as I like my Fords, but please-some statements made here don't make much sense.

Last edited by 309Ford; 12-14-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
You want to hear a positive post about the 6.0. A friend of mine and his dad just bought new 2006 6.0s. My friend bought a F250 cc 4x4 and his dad bought a F350 cc 4x4 dually. His dad moded his truck out right away it will smoke all four tires on take off. My buddy's truck is still stock and is one off the fastest stock trucks I've ridden in. The both turn and ride better than any SD I've ever ridden in including all the 6.0 made in previous years. They both have under 10,000 miles and have not had one problem. Their trucks make me feel like I'm driving a POS when I pull up with my old 7.3. OK thats enough ego boosting for all the 6.0 owners out there.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:40 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well all tests Ive seen show the 6.0 the fastest diesel out there. Test after test. Must be alot off BS out there then. Its easy to talk when you dont own one. Tell the 6.0 guys on there forum there not fast they will tell you different in a big way.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:48 PM
309Ford
Senior User
Yeah, it's the quickest diesel stock, but when you put on modifications, which can be done to any diesel, stock performance goes out the window.

Then the stock diesel loses badly. How do I know? I've been in stock and modified versions of trucks having all three motors.

A 475 RWHP diesel of any of the three brands will beat ANY of the stock diesels of any of those same three brands. 6.0 most definitely included.

Which is why I think the Dodge guy was lying about the Hp he has.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
16diesel
Senior User
but hp isent every thing. a rotary rx-7 only makes about 235 hp a mustang makes around 300 but the rx-7 will more than keep up with it. the deffinition of the pefect racing engine is the one that can take in air, and fuel compress it, burn it and pump out the exaughst the fastest. im not saying that it is likely the 6.0 beat the 475hp cummins but hp isnt every thing