1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

anyone else having a knock after disengaging 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:09 PM
MTman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone else having a knock after disengaging 4x4?

The last two times I have engaged my 4x4 (dial on dash, to 4x4, not 4x4-low) and then disengaged I have front end noise.
Specifically when turning to the extreme of my turning radius, either direction, there is a specific buckling sensation, "clunk clunk clunk", at the rate of the wheel rotation. It is substantial and travels up through the floorboard and especially the steering column. Almost like there is a seized U-joint...
but on both sides?
The last time it happened, it went completely away after a week of normal driving or so.
Have I reason to be concerned? What could cause this on a '02 F350 CC with 45k on it? The entire left front wheel bearing (spindle-set) was replaced under warranty at 32k, but the noise and feel it created was much less than this.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Todd

Old 12-12-2005, 05:34 PM
blueeyes2478
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check to see if your hubs are still locked in.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:44 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
yes that is because the u-joints at the spindle are not designed to be run at that much angle all the time. especially on bare pavement, the wheel hop is noticeable. also the steering wheel wanting to rip out of your hands is normal. having a double-cardon style driveshaft in there that is designed for 45* would be alot smoother, however i dont see how there would be room in there. that is normal, and only when locked in 4wd. if you are in 2wd with the hubs on LOCK, you will hear the popping sound at full lock. only does it turn into a jerking motion of the steering wheel when you add torque through the driveshafts.