Sponsored by:

4wd electronic shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:42 AM
poorknight19
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 4wd electronic shift

I have an 88 bronco with over 200,000 miles on it. The 4wd works, but there is something wrong with the electronic shifting module. I've put 2 new shifter motors on it, and both shorted out immediately-- they wanted to go to 4wd Low, and kept going.

My question is, can I just rig up something to allow me to shift into 4wd in case of an emergency (not using "shift on the fly")? A friend of mine rigged a cable to the attachment where his shifter motor goes, and he just pulls on the cable to put it into 4wd. He has to keep pulling the cable, though, or it will fall out of 4wd. I'm just looking for a way to shift it for snow... Could I connect the shifter motor to the battery and put a switch in the glove box? Or is there some kit for this kind of thing?

I appreciate anyone's help.

Last edited by poorknight19; 12-12-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:17 AM
460srule
Junior User
Have you done pushed the self-test button on the control-module?Don't know why it wants to keep running past the shift points.The tcase can be shifted with a pair of pliers.With the motor off,turn the triangled shaft to desired mode.Should stay unless the are other problems with tcase.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:55 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
Question

hey where is the control module and self-test button?

Old 12-12-2005, 01:06 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by poorknight19
I have an 88 bronco with over 200,000 miles on it. The 4wd works, but there is something wrong with the electronic shifting module. I've put 2 new shifter motors on it, and both shorted out immediately-- they wanted to go to 4wd Low, and kept going.

My question is, can I just rig up something to allow me to shift into 4wd in case of an emergency (not using "shift on the fly")? A friend of mine rigged a cable to the attachment where his shifter motor goes, and he just pulls on the cable to put it into 4wd. He has to keep pulling the cable, though, or it will fall out of 4wd. I'm just looking for a way to shift it for snow... Could I connect the shifter motor to the battery and put a switch in the glove box? Or is there some kit for this kind of thing?

I appreciate anyone's help.
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:09 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The shift control module is behind the passenger side kick panel along with the EEC computer. It will have a red LED illuminated on it. The test button is on the module.

Poorknight,

Unfortunately, the only real solution is to troubleshoot the electrical malfunction. The t-case has at least two sensors built into it that are positioning sensors which "tell" the shift control module where the armature on the shift motor is located. This way it "knows" whether the t-case is in 2HI, 4HI, or 4LO. If this wan't necessary information to keep the t-case from engaging when it shouldn't or would otherwise be detrimental or dangerous, bypassing would be simpler. Alas this is not the situation.

The other option would be to find a manually shifted Borg-Warner 1356 T-case from another Bronco or F-series. They are a direct replacement and require only that you remove the cover in the floor (yeah, have a look there is a panel in the floor where the shift lever would have gone if your truck had come equipped with the factory option manual t-case) for the shifter and of course cut a hole in your carpeting for the lever and the boot.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 PM
460srule
Junior User
greystreak92 probably has the best long term solution.I have used the pliers out on the ice in the snow,but my motor started working as soon as I took it off.