Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

air compressor for body work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
air compressor for body work?

I'm looking to strip down my Grand Marquis and do body work next spring. What would be a good size air compressor for a job like that? Since it's going to be in the small garage I rent with my apartment, it needs to be fairly small. Are gallons all that important, or is the output what I should be looking for?

Would it be better to just stick with electric power tools instead?

Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 PM
tomrooster-1
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
small a/c s just don't cut it when it comes to bodywork. I used to use a 5 hp from sears with a small tank . It will handle most of the air tools and you can paint with it but don't try sand blasting. Tom

Old 12-08-2005, 10:11 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think some of the body tools are air specific.

I never saw an board sander or an 8" geared sander that was electric.

I wish they did make them in an electric configuration.

IMHO, I think bigger is better when it comes to an air compressor.

Of course, that means more of the green stuff also.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
Allright, You need minimum 5hp, and a 30 gallon tank, these you can find on wheels. It won't take a break too often but could do the trick. I know that's what I've been using for years. I've used and abused it hard doing plenty of bodywork and a lot of mechanical work. DO NOT get anything smaller. My next compressor will be at least a 60 gallon/oil base/2 or 3 cylinder.

Madmike33

Old 12-08-2005, 11:26 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

And a 2 stage would also be in order.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Smile

If your in an apartment get a 115 volt unit that consumes less than 15 amps. Thats the standard size circuit breaker for households. You are limited to that size. You are right about output capacity being more important than storage capacity. If the compressor can't keep up with the tool then reserve capacity only gains you a minute or so of use before you run out of air.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Ian F
Elder User
I have a 5hp, 30 gal Craftsman and it will just barely run my cut-off wheel for a short period of time. And being an oil-free type, it makes an ungodly racket while doing so.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
Originally Posted by sierraben
And a 2 stage would also be in order.
Indeed!!

Madmike33

Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Madmike33
You need minimum 5hp, and a 30 gallon tank, these you can find on wheels. It won't take a break too often but could do the trick. I know that's what I've been using for years.
usually the roll around 30 gallon compressors are about 2hp actual(check the fla rating on the motor, true 5hp is around 21amps 240v 1ph)and marketed with the 5hp peak rating. a true 5hp unit will laugh at just about every air tool(used in a home shop setting), altough depending on the size of the nozzel for your sandblaster could give it run for its money.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
This is true Crash687, I've got mine on 220v. And I'm definately gonna pick up something monsterous soon enough. When I bought my compressor, I needed something mobile that could handle a descent work load. I just mentioned the 5hp, 30 gallon on wheels for the occasional home shop guy that doesn't have much room. In my opinion it's the best option in a similar case. Even at peak 5HP, it definately kills a 2hp.

Madmike33

Old 12-23-2005, 02:35 PM
ratsrides2
New User
i have a husky from home dept 7hp 220 two piston,60 gallon and its been a year and a halph and its still alwows, stripping and painting with ease

Old 12-23-2005, 04:38 PM
fefarms
Elder User
What matters for sustained use of air tools is CFM at 90PSI or better. Only the biggest portable air compressors will be suitable for most air tools that are run in normal use for more than a few seconds. (Framing nailers, impact wrenches, and cut-off wheels usually don't run for long enough to exhaust the capacity of the storage tank). But sanders and die grinders are another matter, and they tend to need serious continuous air delivery.

You need a minimum of 10 CFM for sandblasting; 15 CFM is better. This requires 5 true horsepower and a 240V supply; such an air compressor is NOT portable.

Actually, you can forget about sandblasting in a rented garage. It's too dirty and space intensive. And even 5 true HP is too slow for stripping a whole car; (maybe a frame, but not a whole car). You might consider farming out your stripping; places that do this as a business use 100 CFM plus compressors, fancy abrasives, supplied air breathing masks, and industrial ventilation.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fefarms
This requires 5 true horsepower and a 240V supply; such an air compressor is NOT portable.
what do you mean not portable????? just bribe your friends with free beer along with a steak and they'll move it where ever you want.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:53 PM
ferret2
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2 Stage compressors?

Can someone explain to me the advantage to the average hobbyist of buying a 2 stage compressor over a similiarly sized single stage? My Curtis Toledo three cylinder single stage will still put out 120 psi if I need it but no tool I own needs that much pressure. Seems like people always underestimate the volume needed and maybe try to cover that up by overcompressing to get a little more into storage. But if you are really going to be using it steadily such as painting or blasting then that crutch won't work. You'll still run out of volume eventually.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:16 PM
ratsrides2
New User
i found that if you use it with comen sense, i.e. giving you and your compressor a break every 20 mins or so will be good for you and the compressor, but the cfms are very inportant to the life of your tools, oil daily and drain your tanks properly. i,v been doing body work and sport compact conversions for 20 years or so and the best way to do somthing is to do it right and safe.volume is important to ,good luck in your choice

Quick Reply: air compressor for body work?