4" FabTech lift/level, Bilstein mono-gas shocks, Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Silverstars, BFG 295/75/16 AT KO's on Factory Mags
LANDYOT Generation II Radius Rods, Ford factory hood insulator

Old 12-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by birdman127
I just ordered 36/13.50/16 for my X. How do you like the tires so far? Loud? Do they grab ruts in the road? Looks real good!!
Not loud. Just a dull roar. Seems to be worse at 35mph than at 70mph though. I've owned the 36x13.5x15 bias plys before on my EB and they were a great tire. They wear just like a typical swamper, but I only paid $150/ea for my 37" raidals, so you can't go wrong. Check out Interco Tire's website for their "blemmished" tires and you'll save a bundle.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 PM
4x4 VANMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeepincj7 thankyou for starting this thread. I really like the looks of the X. I'm in the proccess of finding and buying my first right now. I already have my mind made about the Dr 7'' lift. I was wondering if you could give me a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the rear bumper. I live up here in Maryland, the MAN can get strict if you get to crazy with the lift. Anyway the X looks great. Can't wait to get mine.
Since youve driven a little more still no issues with the drive line angles.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 4x4 VANMAN
Jeepincj7 thankyou for starting this thread. I really like the looks of the X. I'm in the proccess of finding and buying my first right now. I already have my mind made about the Dr 7'' lift. I was wondering if you could give me a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the rear bumper. I live up here in Maryland, the MAN can get strict if you get to crazy with the lift. Anyway the X looks great. Can't wait to get mine.
Since youve driven a little more still no issues with the drive line angles.
29.5" to the rear bumper and 25" to the hitch. Front is 24.5".

Remember though, this is with pretty much a true 37" tire. Swampers run a true size for the most part, so the 37" Iroks are 36.9" tall. Some other brand 37s may not be a true 37" tall.

FWIW, its been almost a week and I've driven it to work(120mi round trip) every day this week(400mi total). I'm getting 11.5mpg so far with the 37s(based on a 15-17% variance in tire size). But, my Superchips 1715 will be here tomorrow, so I will reprogram the computer, shift points, speedo, etc and get a better reading. If I can squeeze 12.5mpg out if it, I would be very happy.

As far as angle, everything looks fine. I'm borderline on both shafts. For a street rig, they would work just fine, but if i ever wheel it, I may have issues. I do notice a rear driveline vibe over 80mph(70mph on the speedo). I will retighten everything again this weekend and really take a look at the angles again. It may just need a 3* shim in the rear to correct it.

Last edited by Jeepincj7; 12-07-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:16 PM
4x4 VANMAN
Senior User
Jeepincj7 Im just thinking ahead to the future since im this much closer to purchasing my X. What if anything did you do to the stock brake lines. Im seeing that thoes dont come in the donahoe kit as they dont in most. If you extended what lenght did you use and howd they look. Nick

Old 12-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 4x4 VANMAN
Jeepincj7 Im just thinking ahead to the future since im this much closer to purchasing my X. What if anything did you do to the stock brake lines. Im seeing that thoes dont come in the donahoe kit as they dont in most. If you extended what lenght did you use and howd they look. Nick
To date I haven't done anything with the lines just yet. When I do, I will just find some 6" or so rubber brakeline extentions. I really dislike braided stainless steel lines. I've seen numerous lines break and fail on the trail that were braided, and given the amount of flex that could be possible from the Donahoe kits, I fell much safer with rubber lines. You'll also need to extend the hub vacuum lines though too. That is easy enough with some longer vacuum lines and cheap little attachments though. For now, I turned the bracket down to allow a few more inches of room, but it will need to be addresses shortly.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:02 AM
BIGRNU
Senior User
Just can't let this thread die :-).

Does it look like a 38x15.5 tire would fit under that lift? From the photos, looks like it would be close...

I found a set of brand new PJ Dirt Grips in a 38x15.5/16 in my local newspaper for an unbelievable deal... But I'm not sure I'll be able to run them on my X with the 7" of lift... Well, actually, Pro Comp says my lift is going to raise my truck 7.5-8.5 inches, so it MIGHT be close...

Old 12-15-2005, 09:05 AM
PaulwestSki
Cross-Country
Talking My Ex gets lifted tommorow

My 2005 Excursion goes in to get lifted tommorow.
Donahoe Racing 7" lift with DR signature series shocks, DR steering stabilizer, adjustable pan rod bar, 355/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Kaotik NT1 rims.

Did you also need to space your bumper out? (for tire clearance)
Did you have to get it re-aligned?

The local off road shop will install mine and perform two re-tightenings for $600.00 which I thought was pretty reasonable.

I found a buyer for my factory tires and rims, He'll pay $600.00 for them.

Last edited by PaulwestSki; 12-15-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Partycattin
New User
Lifted my X last night

It took 3 of us (basically 2 guys working and me getting in the way) about 4 hours start to finish.
I used the Donahoe 4.5 drop hanger lift system. It was very easy to install.

I'm waiting for everything to settle back in but it looks like the rear needs to come up another inch or so. The kit has you replace the factory 2" rear blocks with 5" blocks for a net lift of 3".
So 4 1/2 up front and 3 in the rear = a sagging rear end. I post some pics once I get my wheels and tires put on.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by BIGRNU
Just can't let this thread die :-).

Does it look like a 38x15.5 tire would fit under that lift? From the photos, looks like it would be close...

I found a set of brand new PJ Dirt Grips in a 38x15.5/16 in my local newspaper for an unbelievable deal... But I'm not sure I'll be able to run them on my X with the 7" of lift... Well, actually, Pro Comp says my lift is going to raise my truck 7.5-8.5 inches, so it MIGHT be close...
Not to scare you at all, but Pro Comp is considered to be a very harsh riding kit. I drove behind an 05' FX4 diesel on Tuesday in the carpool lane for a few miles and the thing was bouncing all over the road. Mine on the other hand was extremely smooth over the exact same lane. His looked like an 8" kit. 4-6" springs and a block.

But, the PJs don't run a true 38" AFAIK, so you may be okay with them. A 15" wide tire will walk in the ruts though from time to time.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by PaulwestSki
My 2005 Excursion goes in to get lifted tommorow.
Donahoe Racing 7" lift with DR signature series shocks, DR steering stabilizer, adjustable pan rod bar, 355/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Kaotik NT1 rims.

Did you also need to space your bumper out? (for tire clearance)
Did you have to get it re-aligned?

The local off road shop will install mine and perform two re-tightenings for $600.00 which I thought was pretty reasonable.

I found a buyer for my factory tires and rims, He'll pay $600.00 for them.
Didn't need to space the bumper at all. I did trim an inch or so off the lower cowl where the tires would rub at slight turn though. That was about it. BTW, you don't "need" the adjustable panhard bar on the 7" kit. The drop bracket centers it perfectly on the 7" kit.

Also didn't need a realignment. The toe-in isn't effected with the lift, and all you need to do is adjust the draglink to center the steering wheel about 3/4 of a turn.

The driveshaft is the one thing I will need to adjust on mine. Mine fell out of the slip yoke during install and I didn't get it lined up correctly so its off balance. Its also a little short for my liking, so I plan on just replacing the shaft with a custom one. I found a guy on Ebay that is going to build me a new custom shaft with all new stuff for $250 shipped to my door. Can't beat that at all.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:33 PM
PaulwestSki
Cross-Country
Unhappy

Thanks for the info.
I'll make sure I mark the drive shaft before they do the install.
Thats a bummer I already bought the adjustable pan rod bar.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by PaulwestSki
Thanks for the info.
I'll make sure I mark the drive shaft before they do the install.
Thats a bummer I already bought the adjustable pan rod bar.
Just unbolt it from the axle flange. It takes a 12pt 12mm socket or boxed end wrench. May need a breaker bar. You won't believe how much locktite Ford uses on their bolts......

Old 12-15-2005, 04:50 PM
BIGRNU
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeepincj7
Not to scare you at all, but Pro Comp is considered to be a very harsh riding kit. I drove behind an 05' FX4 diesel on Tuesday in the carpool lane for a few miles and the thing was bouncing all over the road. Mine on the other hand was extremely smooth over the exact same lane. His looked like an 8" kit. 4-6" springs and a block.

But, the PJs don't run a true 38" AFAIK, so you may be okay with them. A 15" wide tire will walk in the ruts though from time to time.
Too late - the Pro Comp kit is sitting in my garage, waiting to be installed. We'll just have to see how it rides. This is the "Donahoe website" so I don't expect to get a lot of encouragement to put ANY other brand of lift on my truck.

As soon as my lift is installed - I'll be sure to post a full review on it's ride characteristics.

The PJs are 38.2" OD. Sounds more like a true 38" tire than a lot of the others out there. Most of the tire size charts I have seen recommend 8" of lift for 38" tires... So it's a good possibility that I'll be pretty darn close with these tires.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Jeepincj7
More Turbo
Originally Posted by BIGRNU
Too late - the Pro Comp kit is sitting in my garage, waiting to be installed. We'll just have to see how it rides. This is the "Donahoe website" so I don't expect to get a lot of encouragement to put ANY other brand of lift on my truck.

As soon as my lift is installed - I'll be sure to post a full review on it's ride characteristics.

The PJs are 38.2" OD. Sounds more like a true 38" tire than a lot of the others out there. Most of the tire size charts I have seen recommend 8" of lift for 38" tires... So it's a good possibility that I'll be pretty darn close with these tires.
I just hope for your kidneys that it rides better than everyone says. My Burb rides terrible. Its a Superlift and I agrue with the wife about who gets to drive the X instead. I'm seriously considering buying Deaver springs for the Burb if I end up keeping it.

Quick Reply: Lifted the X this weekend