Sponsored by:

stalled out, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 09:01 PM
broncotoft
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stalled out, HELP

anybody know what might be wrong with my bronco, it stalled and will not start when it stalled for just a little while after i could smell a strong oil smell but then it went away after just a few seconds when i try and start it it will turn over but won't fire up i have no ideas what could be wrong any hints?(p.s. i was doing donuts in the snow in an empty parking lot but i still don't understand it)

Old 12-03-2005, 09:10 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
welcome to FTE

well it could be a number of things from from what you've told me. If you have a carb, you may have inadvertantly flooded it, thus a strong gas smell that goes away. let it sit for a minute, then try again. If not, then let's see here....

First things first, we gotta figure out fuel, air, fire, or timing. Make sure that the airways aren't blocked by pulling off the air filter all the way back to the carb/throttle body, leave it open to the air.

Pull one of your spark plugs, or if you have a spare plug laying around, just pull the plug wire and hook it to the wire. Then ground the open plug to the chassis, and see if it sparks. You should get a good blue spark. If not then start trying to find the source of the no spark.

From here, if you sniff at the spark plug hole just after the engine turns over, you should be able to smell gas. If not, fuel is you problem.

If at any time you get a bad backfire or have all three and get nothing, then the engine jumped timing. (stay away from the carb if you have one during this process, backfire means flames out the carb).

Also check the condition of the spark plugs, if they are black with oil, then pull all of them and clean them up with carb cleaner then put them back in, it should fire then.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:02 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Broncotoft,

Might want to help us help you by letting us in on what model year and which engine you have in your Bronco. As Amish77 said, could be any number of things but they will be diagnosed and dealt with very differently depending upon the model year and the engine.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:01 AM
broncotoft
New User
its a 1994 EFI 5.0L it backfires so i do have gas and i could smell it,brand new timing chain and spark plugs last march i just went and tryed for spark i couldn't get any spark i just did valve covers so i checked all the connections and everything looks good and i drove it for a 2 hours before this happened it seemed to drive fine except it studdered 2 times while i was driving on the freeway

Old 12-04-2005, 11:30 AM
460srule
Junior User
Do you hear the fuel pump running? If you were cutting donuts maybe you stirred up a bunch of rust and dirt that might be in the tank and now your fuel filter is starting to plug.Fun usually comes with a cost.But don't let that stop you.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:05 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
ok so we're talking spark. Gotta find out where the electricity stops, if there's no spark at the plugs, check your wires. If they check out, then go to the coil, and see if there's 12 volts b4 the coil. come back to us with what you get.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:11 PM
broncotoft
New User
OK i have power at both the red and white(kinda cream color,but anyways)wires at the coil and the ICM (ignition control module)is tested and is good should OHM out the plug wires or should i see if the coil is putting out and if so how do you recommed doing that with out hurting myself.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:41 PM
broncotoft
New User
o ya i ohmed out the coil and is .2ohms would this be the cause for my problem
the spec. is .3 to 1.6 ohms

Old 12-04-2005, 04:28 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Yes, 0.2 is BELOW the acceptable range of 0.3-1.6 Sounds like the winding is toast. Remove a plug wire and let it hang near the block or anything metal that is sercured to the frame of the truck. Good spark should jump across from the end of the wire to the metal component when the engine is cranked. You can do it with the coil wire if you dont want the truck trying to turn over while you watch for spark. Keep your hands well clear when doing this. The high energy ignition system kicks a good bit harder than the typical ignition coil.

The odd thing is having an EFI engine backfiring. That sounds like a spark timing problem. Have you double checked that you don't have a plug wire or two crossed? When was the last time you checked the base timing?

Old 12-04-2005, 04:33 PM
broncotoft
New User
it only backfired right after it stalled and that because of the hot exhaust other wise it dosen't

Old 12-04-2005, 04:39 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Ahh, ok, then disregard the second paragraph.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:54 PM
broncotoft
New User
SWEET, it was just the coil a 15$ part i'm happy, thanks guys!

Old 12-04-2005, 07:57 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
no problem, glad I could help.