Sponsored by:

1990 Bronco EB 5.0L 4X4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 AM
sethm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1990 Bronco EB 5.0L 4X4 problems

I just recently bought this bronco and i have been experiencing some issues. I though at first it might be u-joints on rear drive line, but that wasnt the case still has a resistance when accelerating. I felt a vibration, thats what made me think u-joints. Now when she cold in the morning she'll run great for about three-four miles and then shell clunk. Issues going up hills. Does anyone know or have an idea to throw my way, i just want to get this damn thing fixed. Also massive oil leak had into shop at least 5 times a bunch of idiots said there was nothing wrong, BS.......can anyone help

Last edited by sethm; 12-01-2005 at 09:23 AM. Reason: e-mail address
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
Some others may have ideas but I think you may have a transmission issue.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:51 AM
bgblktruk
Tuned
The two things I can think of are the CV and the spines are dry. They are both easy to take care of. Those are the two cluncking noises I've dealt with on mine and both times they seemed like u joint issues. The oil leak obviously could be a number of things. Where does the oil seem to be coming from? I would figure the valve covers, oil pan or main seals.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:51 PM
sethm
New User
i thought tranny at first too.CV and spines huh........as far as oil leak, i have already tightened valve covers....it looks like its coming from oil pan....now with the transmission, why would it drive alright in the morning and horrible once it warms up????I know that of course the tranny will heat up, but at what point does the tranny decide to kick the bucket? What about spyder gears??????

Old 12-01-2005, 03:05 PM
bgblktruk
Tuned
I'm pretty sure if you have the cork type gaskets and its coming from the valve covers tightening them up won't help for long. They will end up leaking again. I have heard of a new gasket that is supposed to be resealable.

If its coming down the pan it could be the main seals or the pan gasket either way it takes a bit of labor to get at.

As for the transmission I can imagine that because its hydraulic the heat is causing it not to get enough pressure as the fluid thins. I wouldn't think that this was the case but I've learned don't dismiss anything until you can prove it.

As for the CV and splines, I'm not sure about the 90 but on my 88 the CV joint will go especially if the splines aren't lubed. The splines are located (usually) under a boot and they will dry out.

Thanks

Mike