General Automotive Discussion

Stick a sock in it

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 11:31 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick a sock in it

Well, ladies and gents- we've got it. solid proof there is no relationship between disposable income and brains. I actually feel sorry for the kid- lost the oil cap. stuffed a sock in it temporarily, sock got sucked into the motor........

of a $50,000 BMW M3.

You understand many of these folks think we're the ignorant rednecks, right?

Disclaimer: I haven't proof-read ever post on that link for language, so I can't guarantee FTE guidelines.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
The kid probably didn't want to get his expensive cloths dirty kneeling down to look under his car. I guess I'm a little surprised he knew where to put the oil. The best teacher is a expensive bill. I bet he doesn't do that again.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:49 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest mess I ever saw was caused by a mechanic that left a rag in a cummins diesel. He rebuilt the engine, lost the rag. The driver found it when he lost oil pressure pulling an oversized load. Not a good day for my dad the shop manager at that time. It took three tear downs to get all of it out of the engine. It was like a bad disease.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:53 AM
bdjupiter
Elder User
That's going to leave a mark on his pride for a while.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:29 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I am surprised noone told him all he had to do was remove the valve cover, cut the rag in a couple of places, and rotate the engine by hand to remove it all. Then LOF and he would be done. Not that big of a deal, but, since he owns a beemer he can pay for that advice

Old 11-28-2005, 10:52 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the link:

i have my moms AAA card for a free tow, i have a chevron card that my dad thankfully lets me use and spee dee oil change takes chevron cards.
Yep. What do you want to bet Mommy and Daddy bought it for him, and he screws it up.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:53 AM
beeboy
Postmaster
Hmmm....gives me another place to look for the socks the wife 'loses' when she does laundry.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:07 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So let me ask this question. Is it standard practice to drive a $50,000 car till the oil light comes on? And then take it to spee-dee oil change?

Old 11-28-2005, 11:23 AM
mikebon08
Posting Guru

Hey, at least he didn't pour the oil into the radiator. Gotta give him some credit for knowing that much.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Actually, it is standard for the oil light to come on in M3's if you don't check it periodically. They're notorious for using oil when driven hard.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:39 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the link:

like i said i am very tight with money right now, but i have a few resources that might help me out. i have my moms AAA card for a free tow, i have a chevron card that my dad thankfully lets me use and spee dee oil change takes chevron cards.
Sounds like another spoiled brat whose mommy and daddy are going to bail the him out. I can't help but think that if HE actually had to foot the bill that he'd learn something from this.

They're notorious for using oil when driven hard.
Motor oil is for lubricating and not for burning. Someone pays $50K for a car that burns oil and has a light that encourages the driver to check it? Guess they call it the ultimate driving machine for a reason.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 11-28-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:42 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I read that a few days ago somewhere else. The kid is such tard, and he even realized when he wrote the original post that people would laugh and rip on him. Amazing, too darn lazy to reach over and pick up the oil cap and now is worried what kind of damage is done to his car and whether or not quickie lube can fix it.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Uglyhat
Senior User
'had he used the gf's panties we might all have a different opinion of him ...

Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reminds me of time long ago when I would see a vehicles with a rags stuffed in the gas tank filler pipe.

You know; a rolling molotov cocktail bomb.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:22 PM
nick88f150
Posting Guru
We had a similar thing happen at the city garage. they hire kids out of a local vocational school as helpers for the maintenance guy. The last one they had got a regular job, well, on his last few days with the city, they tore down a police car engine, and were cleanin it or sumthin. Well, he stuffed a couple rags in the manifolds to keep them clean while they sat for a bit. Well, they sat longer than expected, and he got his new job and left. The new kid they hire comes in, and they decide to put this cruiser engine back tog. The kid looks into the manifold, and pulls out a couple rags. They put it back together, and give it back to the police officer. He drives it for a little while, and it makes an awful noise, and the engine freezes up. They get it back, and tear it down. Come to find out, the last kid stuffed like 3-4 more rags down the manifold where noone could see em, and they stayed in there. The cylinders were all full of tore up rag, they got blown thru the valves, so the valves were all shot, messing up the lifters and who knows what else. I'm pretty sure they had to scrap most of the engine.

Quick Reply: Stick a sock in it