Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no power (electrical)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:51 PM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no power (electrical)

hello guys

i'm from the ontario chapter of the FTE , just picked up a 1987 f150 truck , it has a straight 6 engine (4.9) automatic tranny , no other optins to speak of ,

the problem is that i have no signal to the started solinoid on the pasengers fender when i turn the ignition key, if i jump out the solinoid the truck will turn over but will not start , love computors....

been thru the fuses , , ? are there any inherant problems with this truck or system i should be aware of

thanks
big daddy chuck

Old 11-28-2005, 01:44 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
It's not a common problem, if that's what you're asking.

It could be the ignition switch near the bottom of the steering column, or the wiring going from there to the relay.

If the truck won't start, it could be a number of things. If you bought it this way, you're going to have to start picking things off one by one.

It could be firing order, timing, dead/dying fuel pump, dead PCM, disconnected vacuum line, fuel pump relay, battery, starter, battery cables, etc. The list is quite long.

The first things I would check are the timing, firing order, and fuel pressure. That at least rules out a large number of possibilities.