1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53 steering column length

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:56 PM
MC53
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53 steering column length

I am getting ready to buy and install steering column in my 53. I just completed the heidts super ride 2 front end. I would like to know what length column works well with heidts front end. I am leaning towards the flaming river column. thanks mike

Old 11-27-2005, 07:24 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure someone will be along to let you know what length column they used in their truck with the Mustang II setup. However, I would still mock it up just to be sure you have what suits your situation. Take an old broom stick or other round length of wood (+/- 36"long), add about a 15" diameter piece of cardboard to one end and use it to position where the steering wheel best suits you. Of course you need your seat in place to get this done accurately. When you have it where you want it in relation to you sitting in the seat, either secure it there with tape or have someone hold it while you mark it where it exits though the firewall. Add an inch or two and you will have a fair idea of what length column you need. Dont forget to take into account the adapter length under the steering wheel. I imagine you will end up with a 30-32" long column. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good advice Larry...It would be better for it to be a tad short than too long. You can lengthen the DD shaft easier than cutting down the column.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:27 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dittos on xfordman's advice; you'll probably be at a 30 inch column unless you're a little guy.