1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

alignment worries?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 08:57 PM
smallen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool alignment worries?

Hello all, this is my fist post. First I want to mention all the help that this forum has provided to me, as I am a "mechanic in training".

I have a 63 f100 2wd that I have recently (this weekend) converted to front disc brakes. I used the ECI kit, and although there were no instructions, was not too bad to figure out.

I do have 1 concern, however. The steering after the disc brake upgrade is limited. It was necessary to disconnect the linkage from the back of the spindle arm to install the caliper mounts. After the reconnect there was an obvious toe in to the tires. I adjusted the tie rod sleeve shortening the rod length between tie rod ends to compensate. Now the front end "looks" roughly straight. If i attempt to turn left I have about 2/3 of the radius than if I attempt to turn right.

Do I need to disconnect the linkage from the wheels and center the steering wheel of something? Any thoughts will help.

Old 11-24-2005, 05:43 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
smallen, Welcome to FTE The best truck show on earth.
I don't have an answer to your question, but wanted to make sure that you get a proper welcome to out forum. Someone will be along shortly that can help.

John

Old 11-24-2005, 06:10 AM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been a long time since I looked at one of these. With the truck jacked up and you turn the front wheels do the radius stops hit the axle in both directions? They are
adjustable if one hits sooner than the other. The second question has to be
does the caliper support interfere with something causing the limit in turning.
There should have been no way you could have changed travel of the steering gear.
I don't see why the toe in changed the supports bolt to the back side the spindle, or
did it have to be placed between the spindle/steering arms?

Old 11-24-2005, 09:00 AM
smallen
New User
the caliper mount did require mounting between the spindle and steering arm. I thought shortening the tie rod sleeve would compensate.

Any ideas?

Old 11-24-2005, 10:46 AM
smallen
New User
addendum

I just found out that the caliper mounts from ECI were catching on a frame bolt. Basically, I need to figure another way to position the caliper mount. Any ideas? There were no pictures, and the way I had them mounted did provide working brakes.

Anyone familiar with the ECI kit?

Old 11-24-2005, 06:31 PM
minishtr
Senior User
smallen are you sure you put the caliper mounts on right?I just did a disk conversion on my 64 and the mount went behind the steering arm.It wasn't an ECI kit but,should be the same.Have you checked out Skip's article in the tech section?I took some pics I might have one that shows how they go on.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:46 PM
smallen
New User
please forward any pics you have. I would be greatly appreciative.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:28 AM
minishtr
Senior User
smallen,I finally got some pics in my gallery.First one is the disk brake mounting brackets.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:33 PM
smallen
New User
Minishtr,

Thanks for the pics. Yeah, that is how I mounted mine as well. It is interesting that mine has bad clearance with the mount. I have used a grinder to cut back the bolts and a bit of the caliper frame, and everything works fine now.

I greatly appreciate it guys. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:40 PM
minishtr
Senior User
I guess every truck is a little bit different as well as the kits.My calipers were a little bit snug when I put them on with the pads installed.