Utah Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Nichalicious

I'm getting ansy...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:19 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting ansy...

I finally got the Explorer off to paint. I had so many trips planned for business, I told the painter not to worry about time frames. I'd rather them do a great job and have it a little longer than do a good job and have the X back just sitting in the garage. Now I find out a couple of my trips have been cancelled, and I want my X back...

I want my cake, I want to eat it, and watch someone else clean up after me...

Old 11-22-2005, 06:04 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relax, go for a drive in the Escape and pretend. Its not too much different than the X is it?

Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Only 200 horses...

Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 AM
goodie350
Senior User
200.....you'll never notice that slight of a difference.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:25 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Shouldn't...

I hate this pic...

It is from last Friday. They have now primered it and are supposedly putting the first paint coat on today...

Looks like it might actually get back to me sometime next week!!!

Old 11-28-2005, 02:51 PM
mbryson
Cross-Country
Which shop did you take it too? I just try to keep up on quality body shops.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:58 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Larry Miller Truckland is doing the work. I met the Collision Center manager when my dad and I hit a horse in his '04 F250. Truckland did the work on it, and they did an extremely good job. Pics of it are here:

http://www.cobraxp.com/f250.htm

I talked to Laif (the manager) and told him about what I was doing to the Explorer and the custom work that I was doing. He gave me a good price on the job. I went by Friday afternoon and the body is now painted. All that is left is the bumpers, wing, and a few little parts (door handles, etc). I should get it back this week.

If anyone is looking for a good shop, I would recommend at least stopping by Truckland and talking to Laif. They are doing very good work there - not just throwing a paint job on vehicles to match Ford's paint.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
mbryson
Cross-Country
Cool. Good to know. I'm kinda picky about that kind of stuff if I need it done. Back in the day, I used to do it and then I read a few MSDS......... I'm a computer nerd now.

Just the fact they took the rear windows and window edge trim off will make their job LOTS easier to get quality work. I bet it'll look sweet when it's done. You staying white?

Old 11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
e9tac
Junior User
Looking good David! It sure has come a long way since the last time I saw it.

Jeff

Old 11-28-2005, 10:28 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Where have you been!!!!!

When are you coming into town!?!?!?!? I've got a place for you and your wife if you need!

For those of you that might not know e9tac - let me introduce Jeff. He has one heck of a Lightning. He used to live around here, but defected up north to Washington. Next time he is in town, we'll definitely have to have a lunch meet!

Old 11-28-2005, 10:40 PM
e9tac
Junior User
I was in town last month! I visited with Ken and also got to see his finished L.

Thanks for the compliment on the L, but you should see it now because it's come along ways since you last saw it!!!! It's tore down right now waiting for the Vortech & intercooler install.

I'll let you know the next time I'm in town and the same goes for you...if you make up to the PNW I'll leave the light on for ya!

Old 11-28-2005, 10:48 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
I saw Ken's L at the last show at the South Towne Expo Center. It is looking good!

I was up in Seattle and Tacoma about a month ago, but I didn't know how to get in touch with you. PM some contact info so I'll have it for the next trip.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:11 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Well, I had hoped to get the X back this week, but looks like that won't happen. They painted the body and it looks great, but today we found a place on the roof that was loose. When the priner was sprayed, apparently some of the solvent loosened the old paint in the grooves where the roof rack was and it turned loose. So...... now the entire roof is getting sanded to bare metal and redone. We went around the rest of the X checking for more spots, but didn't find any. They are going to repaint the entire thing to just be sure.

Its bad to see, but at least it was caught before it was put back together and turned over to me. I will give Truckland credit - even though it is going to take longer to get my ride back - at least they make sure the job is done right. Some places would have touched up the spot and kept going.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:24 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Sounds like Truck-Land is doing a good job. I have put off getting my truck painted since the guy I used to use closed shop and retired.

Is Truck-Land reasonable on pricing? I don't mind paying for quality work but price needs to be fair also. I have 1 crease in the bedside (from son in law) and minimal rust spots by the doors. The original Ford paint is starting to flake off in large areas now (typical of the 86 year)

I've also been mulling the idea that I can do the bodywork and shoot it myself but in the back of my mind wonder if I'm just asking for trouble

Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
I have gotten nothing but positive service from Truckland. As far as the pricing, its no Maaco $199 job, but they are not as much as some of the quotes I got from individual shops. Most of the shops I went and got quotes from were in the $5000 to $6500 range. I saw the bill yesterday and it is going to be roughly $4000.

You have to keep in mind also that I have a lot of fiberglass work done, plus removing and welding holes for the roof rack, etc. I didn't have any body damage, just cusotm work. Most of the door dings I fixed and filled myself. The largest part for me was the labor of the extras I did. I didn't want a show quality paint job, but I did want a better than OEM job done.

I think Laif told me 'normal' paint jobs normally run anywhere from $1500 to $2500 there - just depending on what needs to be done. If you can do some of the body work yourself, it would be what would save you money. The labor is the most expensive part - not the painting itself.

If you decide to do some of it yourself, let me know. I'm not the greatest body work man, but I'm willing to help any way I can...

Quick Reply: I'm getting ansy...