Where to look for ID numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to look for ID numbers?

Hello everyone,

I hope you can answer some questions for me. I just purchased a 56 f-100 thats supposed to have a 272 Y-block in it (according to the VIN). I was told that from the pic the intake and carb look correct for my year, but with the spin on oil filter it may be a later block.

Where do I start looking for the block numbers? Heads, intake, carb, etc.?

Its a running truck, but needs a tune up and I would like to identify as much as I can for getting parts (as well as for my own knowledge).

This gallery has more engine pics if you need them. https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=18860

Thanks everyone for the help (in advance),
Brian

Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 AM
klatt_89
Elder User
http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm
http://www.ford-y-block.com/cylinderheadchart.htm
I think those 2 links will help you out.
The carb and intake appear to be the same as what's on my 292 y-block. If the carb has 3 bolts that hold it down, it's more then likely a 3 bolt Holley, i can't exactly remember the exact model and the intakes a early y-block intake (the first couple years i think).
I'm sure the guys here in the Y-block Forum on here can help you out more then i can, they're full of knowledge and willing to help out.

Last edited by klatt_89; 11-21-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Thanks Klatt. That gives me some places to look tomorrow for numbers. I won't get home from work until way after dark tonight.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:15 AM
klatt_89
Elder User
Your welcome. It's hard to find numbers in the dark....i've tried it...lol.. Good luck with the truck and the Y-Block.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Hmmm...well closer.

I cleaned the numbers off with a wire brush (upside down by generator). I sprayed them with white paint because I can't read them. They are rusted/worn away really badly (real bad!!).

The first letter was round at one point (I think---???) The second looks like it used to be an "E" or "C". The third is probably a "G" The only number on that site thats even remotely close is
ECG 272 cu. in V8 1955 to 57 cars and trucks. Typically Dearborn casting.
That might be dreaming, but its supposed to be a 1956 272 according to the VIN.

The carb is indeed the holly you described. After you said that I started looking at it closer. It says holly 210 right on the side (duh!).

I cannot find the head casting numbers (yet). I will keep looking as I work on it though.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:26 PM
klatt_89
Elder User
I was told on the head casting numbers the other night that some codes were found under the front right runner of the intake manifold. I was trying to find out what heads i have but i haven't been able to find the numbers yet.
Good luck and i'm glad i could help you out.
I would get some PBblaster and squirt that where you think the numbers are, it takes grease/rust off really good, used it to find the vin on my rusty frame and also to find the numbers on the engine.....