1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hmmm What defines a classification of "darkside"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:37 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Definately out there in the gray. Heck, life is nothing but a big gray area anyway.

Just do what feels good and have a good time

Bobby

Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
medium grey evil sider here!
Gracie will retain all her outside trim and body configuration and OEM based suspension, but her interior and drivetrain is all modern.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:08 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep kidding myself as there is a draw to the white side - my dad did Model As and I want to keep to the light grayside in respect of his memory.

Yet, Yet - I keep putting pieces aside and this picture of an extended cab with a shortened box, redone rear sheetmetal, V8 AOD power steering and disk brakes is growing in my mind.

It is sort of hard to put a timing chain into a 223 six when someone has offered to give you a fuel injected 460 - bet next week you see me with my parts trailer on and headed out to get that oversized gas hog. It will look good polished up and sitting under my work bench!

I keep looking out of that closet door and wondering . . . . .

Old 11-21-2005, 03:09 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about doing something to a vehicle that can't be undone just by switching out bolt on parts.

I'm using this "High Road" as a justification for me not tearing apart a "Classic Vehicle", all my intended mods will be able to be removed and replaced by OEM Spec parts.

See, now I'm clean.

Last edited by 4tl8ford; 11-21-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:20 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mention SBC and the do-do will hit the fan, but talk about Toyota steering boxs, Mustang/Volare IFS, T5 tranny swaps, and your a good guy. Never quite figured that out, there must be some bad air lingering about because the SBC ran circles around the Y-blocks in the early days.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:41 PM
redlightning
Senior User
Darkside,It is the bottom side of a truck with a very bad leaking rear main seal.Carl

Old 11-21-2005, 03:49 PM
mtskibum16
New User
Originally Posted by WillyB
btw - evil side is a bowtie in a ford!
Oops....I guess that's me. Other than that though, I will sit somewhere around charcoal greay (literally)...at least I probably won't chop the cab.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 PM
halfdone
Senior User
I have a mate who insists he is a restorer...and like all good restorers he has to hate Hot Rodders.......part of the rules I think.

He is doing, among others, a '36 Roadster.......fully restored of course.

He has however fitted '48 hydraulic brakes, but that's a safety feature.
The 24 stud flaty with finned heads and triple carbs is only fitted so he can keep up with traffic.
The dropped axle and reversed eye springs are too lower the centre of gravity so it handles better.....another safety feature.

Fully restored, with safety features ....... definately not a hot rod.

He is of course a restorer........he only chopped the roof of my 36 5w under a strict secrecy pact.......wouldn't want the other restorers to find out would we

I told him about the darkside thread here.......he insists he is virginal white, not even a hint of grey

Old 11-21-2005, 04:34 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Oh by all means! as long as its for safety reasons then its ok. Thats the only reason I put 500 cubic inches in my truck -- so I could keep up with traffic (its bad here in the States) and the disc brakes, of course, purely for safety reasons (I might have to stop fast while keeping up with traffic). And the roll control solenoid, thats not for drag racing or anything like that, its purely a safety device used to help me not roll backwards on the hills (which could be a big problem with the TH400 automatic which was installed for safety reasons)

Woohooo!!! can I get a big Yeehaw for safety!!!!

Bobby

Old 11-21-2005, 05:11 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Oh by all means! as long as its for safety reasons then its ok. Thats the only reason I put 500 cubic inches in my truck -- so I could keep up with traffic (its bad here in the States) and the disc brakes, of course, purely for safety reasons (I might have to stop fast while keeping up with traffic). And the roll control solenoid, thats not for drag racing or anything like that, its purely a safety device used to help me not roll backwards on the hills (which could be a big problem with the TH400 automatic which was installed for safety reasons)

Woohooo!!! can I get a big Yeehaw for safety!!!!

Bobby
Yep....your as white as the freshest of snow

Old 11-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come to the darkside young Skyliner. Feel the power of the huge cubic inches catapulting your truck faster than Henry ever imagined. Let the Fords be with you. Jag Vader

Old 11-21-2005, 07:21 PM
OilLeaks
Senior User
Yepper! Only bolt on / bolt off mods for me too (well kinda sorta) and if that makes you feel better that's a good thing. Hey...I AM staying with armstrong steering....does that get me white side points or a lighter shade of gray or is that just indicative of the fact that my pencil could use sharpening? I justify that saying that I don't want to burden the old flathead with a pump when that horsepower could be used to help launch the beast down the road (and maybe later turn an AC compressor). Besides, if the flat motor doesn't work out (just LOVE the way they sound) I've a handle on a 500" Cadillac motor...as Jag Vader says....Let the Fords be with you, or cubic inches anyways!

OilLeaks

Old 11-21-2005, 08:21 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Come to the darkside young Skyliner. Feel the power of the huge cubic inches catapulting your truck faster than Henry ever imagined. Let the Fords be with you. Jag Vader

good one john !

later
john

Old 11-21-2005, 10:18 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jniolon
hey now.... be nice

I resemble that remark !!! my tag line says it all.....

john
come to the darkside....we have cookies !!

OK My turn to save the world and jump on a hand granade

For every truck kept on the light side, I will personally eat a cookie.

Hows that for stepping up to the plate!

Old 11-21-2005, 10:56 PM
8Flat
Senior User
This is good, good nightime reading.....I love this forum...

Gary
'51 F1 (pure as the driven slush.......)