Hub Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 06:48 PM
colad
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hub Question

Hi,
Have a 1991 Bronco, Warn hubs, and when I engage 4WD the drivers side wheel grinds and sound like it is going to general come apart, if I take it out of 4WD and free the hub it stays that way until I reverse and release it. I Took of the cover an nothing seems out of place, the inner and outer securing rings are in place...is the hub just junk? am I on the wrong track? Will batman ever catch the joker? sorry...

but seriously does it sound like I just need a new locking hub? thanks!

Old 11-19-2005, 06:54 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Given the racket the hub seems to be making, chances are replacement is a good idea. There are some other things up there that could make that noise but would most likely do it all the time and not be affected by having the hubs engaged. Tune in next week, same BAT time, same BAT channel when colad exclaims, "I need to center on my hub problems!" Yeah, I watched the show too hokey and cornball are my middle names!

Old 11-21-2005, 07:55 PM
colad
Freshman User
Thaks grey, do you know if there is a way to test for sure? not being really familiar with 4WD hubs are they side specific or could I switch the passenger and drivers side hubs to see if the noise follows the hub?

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2005, 12:58 PM
ovalholic
Senior User
yes you can switch the sides

Old 11-23-2005, 04:57 PM
skelator84
Senior User
Make sure and check out your bearings while you are down there and u-joints as well. I would pull the hubs and clean/regrease them be carefull not to over pack them with grease. also check the splines on the shaft itself there are many possibilities. how old are the hubs? warns are one of the best but they can break just like anything else. I am thinking that maybe a seal went bad somewhere and you have dirt inside causing the hub to not engage properly and stick when disengaging them.

Old 11-24-2005, 05:55 PM
fishin machine
Senior User
Sounds like you're having the same problem I had. I found that the gears in the hub weren't engaging completely, actually took the cap off and watched while someone drove it. This caused a grinding/ratching sound. My fix was replacing the hub. Hope this helps.