Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveline vibration

Old 11-18-2005, 11:56 PM
rharper
New User
rharper is starting off with a positive reputation.
driveline vibration

just bought a89 bronco with 176000 has a vibration at highway speed as u coast off of ahill replaced u joints phase marked drive shaft to keep in line also have clunk when kicked down in passing gear problem also present as u roll to a stop .have greased slip joint problem no better could somebody shed some light on this bought this as project and enjoyed it so much have become adaily driver so i really like to fix everthing up

Old 11-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
drivelines good be bent and the clunk is probably your rear pinnion nut needs tightened

Old 11-19-2005, 06:47 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Can we assume that when the U-joints were replaced the centeirng assembly on the double-cardon joint at the front of the rear DS was replaced as well? The syptoms you describe are consistant with a bad centering assembly in the double cardon joint. Thats not to say its the only possibility but both of my Broncos have exhibited the same symptoms when that component began to fail.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:36 PM
rharper
New User
have already checked pinion nut it was not loose as far as replacing centering assembly,bearings fell out and had to put a dab of grease in assembly,then i put bearings back in. drive line had same symptions bofore i replaced u joints could i at this point assume it is probley centering assembly would this possibly also cause the slack i feel thanks id really like to fix this

Old 11-19-2005, 07:42 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes, it would. The centering assembly keeps your driveline angle correct without the need for a carrier bearing since you in effect have THREE u-joints in a DS that is only supported in TWO places. Something has to be employed to maintain the correct angle or you will get bind because the twi pieces of the DS are not properly aligned. Even though the short piece of the DS is probably less than 4" long, there is still a margin for error. You may not be able feel any slop in the driveline like you do with a bad u-joint. I chased this problem for months the first time it happened to me because I didn't "feel" any play in the driveshaft so I assumed the problem didn't lie there. I was wrong. If you do feel slop the problem is all the worse and repairing it ASAP would be recommended especially if you just replaced the u-joints or the new joints will deteriorate all the faster.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:02 PM
rharper
New User
thanks iwill take care of it tommrow whats a good place to buy center assembly

Old 11-22-2005, 07:16 AM
rharper
New User
well i finally found a center assembly at my local specality store turns out they dont show a center assembly for a 89 bronco thankfullythe guy behind the counter didnt act like the other three places that i went to he actually took intrest in helping (rare) these days after a bit of thumbing thru catalog located part under 3-4 ton pickup have to remeber that may next guy looking for this part.thanks greystreakany how got part installed last night checked rear pinion nut again third time. used cheater bar this time nut actually moved maybe1-8 of aturn got everthing back together and test drove itvibration is gone gone gone!!!!! cant belive it my other problem with kick down clunk not as noticable feels more normal any how this is a greatforum for any one that drives aford truck or bronco!! will tell my friends thanks again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.