Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Titan loaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
okst1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Greg but your story doesn't hold water. A Ford is NOT going to corrode out more quickly than a Toyota under similar circumstances. Why don't you give us the rest of the information?

Old 12-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You calling me a liar ??????????? Do you need a pic of his f150 cab corner and my Taco, or would you think I just photo shop doctored them ? I see a lot of Fords, chevys, toyotas, dodges, pre 2000 with rust thrus. On the other hand, my 79 F150 has perfect cab corners, want pics of those before I painted them ??? ..

My point is RUST is not selective to ANY brand vehicle. You will be hard put to show me any name brand that is rust PROOF, yeah, even the mighty Fords.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
OK hold on there, we never attack another member, for any reason.

CHILL out

Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 PM
okst1
Elder User
"You calling me a liar ???????????"

lmao. Sorry, but I haven't heard anyone say that to me since I was in the 3rd grade.

Read the post. I said you aren't telling the whole story and since you didn't give any additional info on the differences between how the two vehicles are used, I would say that I am correct. Prove me wrong and tell me that your Toy has 225,000 miles on it and the Ford has 34,000 miles and is only driven to church during the summer by a little old lady.

I'll say it again. A Ford will not rust out more quickly than a Toyota driven under similar circumstances.

"you talkin to me?" "huh, you talkin to me?" lmfao

Old 12-06-2005, 09:45 PM
okst1
Elder User
Sorry Tim. These people on the board ******* Fords are getting to me. I'm off to bed. Have a good night.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by okst1
"You calling me a liar ???????????"

lmao. Sorry, but I haven't heard anyone say that to me since I was in the 3rd grade.

Read the post. I said you aren't telling the whole story and since you didn't give any additional info on the differences between how the two vehicles are used, I would say that I am correct. Prove me wrong and tell me that your Toy has 225,000 miles on it and the Ford has 34,000 miles and is only driven to church during the summer by a little old lady.

I'll say it again. A Ford will not rust out more quickly than a Toyota driven under similar circumstances.

"you talkin to me?" "huh, you talkin to me?" lmfao

I am chilled , but I will not step away when I get unjustified flack. Sorry, I wasnt raised that way. Do as you want with this return , I will call them like I see them...

I did not ask the question, "are you "calling me a liar " just to have something to do. When someone tells me my post ie: "story doesnt hold water" that is telling me the person stating that is questioning the truthfullness , of what I stated. I did not ask that question with malice , if I was being mean spirited, I would have put a angry emotioncon with it...

I put Ringo Freebone in quote on my reply, because he was the one asking for any of the past owners that he knew, to speak up about their burned out or rusted out Toyotas. I felt I had the right to express the fact my Toyota is not rusted out. Just like the Ford owners have the right to say their truck is not rusted. When a person puts someone in "quote" on a reply such as I did, that means the poster is using the post in that " quote" to direct their reply to.....

You have every right to reply to a quoted reply , but not to take my posted reply out of context , and weigh it heavy to your own agenda. NOWHERE in my reply did I state that Fords rust faster than Toyotas. If you will note my original reply again, I said my 79 F150 has perfect cab corners, so age is not always the reason for rust. ..

Now, if you read my post again, I stated that my 99 Toyota Tacoma has no rust, and my friends 97 F150 does. There was really no need in stretching out my post on that true statement, because it would be hearsay for me to do so because . ...

I bought my Toy used, he bought his truck new. My truck could have been pampered by a old lady going to church or used as a parts delivery vehicle. I dont know , so I cannot say . I do know he does not offroad, and that I do not ride with him daily, so I do NOT know what he does with his truck. So, with that bit of info given, just how am I supposed to tell the "rest of the story" about why my Toyota did not rust , and his F150 did ? ...

My post in no way was bashing Ford trucks, JUST STATING A FACT about my truck and my buddies truck. I have no control over how other readers take that info. Its kind of like the others on here stating all of these FACTS that Toyotas and other Japanese trucks are junk . I can take those comments serious or with a grain of salt. At my age, brand loyalty means nothing. Value for my dollar does. EOT for me and a wish for a good day to you

Old 12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MEPR
Honestly i wont buy a Ford truck becouse they are too nice. I would be afraid of getting in one whith muddy boots.

you cares what the truck looks like you want to but muddy boots in and drive off good that is why the make vaccums when you want it to look nice when going away for the holidays with the fam.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM
okst1
Elder User
Greg, I'm sure I read too much into your post. My apologies. Take care.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Greg 79 f150
Would that rust on those Japanese trucks look like the rust on my buddies 1997 F150 ? His F150 has a hole in the bottom of the passenger side cab corner rusted out in it so large, I can put my fist thru it. And , there has been no offroading for him, he has just used as a daily driver here around town since he bought it new.
Greg, I am not sure if where you are they use salt on the slippery roads in the winter or not, but every time I drop my kids off at high school, I drive past what I would guess to be about a ten year old Toyota truck with a half dozen holes all down the side of the box you could very literally stick your fist though.
I've never seen a newer bodystyle (1997-up) Ford rusted out, ever.. You must have different circumstances where you are than here, I guess.

I had the joyous occasion to ride in a 1984 Toyota 4x4 last friday, for about 120 miles. The driver, a friend of mine, had borrowed it from his father-in-law. He complained constantly about the bar in the worn-out seat hitting him in the tailbone, the transmission, an automatic, shifted at least once a mile on the highway, and the body, or what was left of it, made it pretty dicey to try and tie ANYTHING down at all, for fear cinching the rope down too tight might just take part of the box with it. The heater, with it's new last summer core, could barely keep the windows clear.

Didn't convince me to whip out and pay ten thousand dollars premium for a Toyota truck, at all. One thing my friend and I did agree on, tho, after that ride, is that the truck we were in, like most trucks of it's vintage here, didn't have enough metal in the body left to make it worthwhile crushing. If neither of us never rode in it again, it would be too soon.

Just my experience, no flames or malilce intended, whatsoever.

RF

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 12-08-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ringo Fonebone
Greg, I am not sure if where you are they use salt on the slippery roads in the winter or not, but every time I drop my kids off at high school, I drive past what I would guess to be about a ten year old Toyota truck with a half dozen holes all down the side of the box you could very literally stick your fist though.
I've never seen a newer bodystyle (1997-up) Ford rusted out, ever.. You must have different circumstances where you are than here, I guess.

I had the joyous occasion to ride in a 1984 Toyota 4x4 last friday, for about 120 miles. The driver, a friend of mine, had borrowed it from his father-in-law. He complained constantly about the bar in the worn-out seat hitting him in the tailbone, the transmission, an automatic, shifted at least once a mile on the highway, and the body, or what was left of it, made it pretty dicey to try and tie ANYTHING down at all, for fear cinching the rope down too tight might just take part of the box with it. The heater, with it's new last summer core, could barely keep the windows clear.

Didn't convince me to whip out and pay ten thousand dollars premium for a Toyota truck, at all. One thing my friend and I did agree on, tho, after that ride, is that the truck we were in, like most trucks of it's vintage here, didn't have enough metal in the body left to make it worthwhile crushing. If neither of us never rode in it again, it would be too soon.

Just my experience, no flames or malilce intended, whatsoever.

RF

Hi, Ringo,

My state is Ky (Kentucky) pronounced 'Caintuckee at times by the natives, and it is shown in the top right of my post box also. My state is a HEAVY road salting state,they salt the roads when we only get a 1/4 inch of snow. My truck has 63,000 miles on it and came from Somerset, Ky and I am the second owner according to my title search on it. My buddies truck was bought new by him and has 115,000 miles on it and has been in Ky since new. ...

You speak of the 84 Toyota being rusted out, I am sure it is, I have seen a lot of 80's Toyota p/us around here with the severe rust. Toyota screwed up in the 80's by not engineering their trucks for our salty roads and by not putting heavier sheet metal panels on them. The Toyota engineers erred in the same fashion as a lot of American design engineers have on underbody designs in the past, they built formed in sheet metal traps in the rockers, quarters and wheel wells that held in salt and mud that we owners could not get washed out. They built too thin of metal panels to help keep the weight down, another one that bit them in the keester. From what I am seeing under my truck today, they have made good changes to help those problems ....

I also see plenty of 80's Ford , Dodges, Chevies, pickups around here with the wheelwheels rusted completely out and the bedsides flopping about. It has nothing to do with the inherent quality of those trucks, it has to do with the driver/road usage, vehicle maintenance and lack of ( clean those wheel wheel lips out regularly ) and whether or not the truck was built with the rusty recyled steel in the 80's....

Yes, the hard seats in the Toyota trucks are still with them, up to 1999 at least. My 99 has hard seat bottoms that I do not like, but that is one of only two things I found I did not like about the little truck. I think they designed them that way to prevent drivers from snoozing off. The other was the soft factory rear leaf springs made in Mexico, which was causing axle wrap, a common problem with Taco's with auto trans. I changed them to heavy load five leaf springs, and if I start driving over a hundred miles a day, I will change the hard seated high back buckets seats to a nicer ones. The little toyota truck is not a heavy duty truck like the F150's, it wasnt designed to be. It was designed to carry a slightly fat, driver from point A to B, with a possible cargo in the bed of the family Golden Retreiver dog, a lawnmower, bags of groceries, or cartons of pizzas, or about 50 - 2x4's . ..

I have been over every inch of my Tacoma interior/ chassis/frame/body/engine / engine compartment amd paint. Every aspect of those areas are built with the same scaled down in size feature, QUALITY, just like my 79 F150 4x4 was built with. ..

I have owned all kinds of cars and pickup trucks in the last thirty three years of my driving. Fords p/us , Ford vans, Ford cars, chevy pu's/ cars, oldsmobile cars, , dodges, toyota cars and now p/u, and I can type out all of the good points about them, and all the bad, but that is useless to me and a waste of bandwith. Because ALL motor vehicles have those attributes, and that is because they are ALL just metal machines built by humans that are capable of making mistakes, not made by a god, as so many people trick themselves in to thinking. jmo, and cheers to ya,

Old 12-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by okst1
Greg, I'm sure I read too much into your post. My apologies. Take care.

All is well and thanks. I do not always type out a post to where it is totally coherent. Something to do with my gray hair I think,