2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battle of the Supercrews- Titan vs F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 06:48 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battle of the Supercrews- Titan vs F-150

I was bored today so i decided instead of listening to the hype about the F-150 and the Titan, i would just go test drive one of each. I thought that it would be better to drive them back to back so my memory would be fresh for the comparison. So here it is: Titan. They have 3 levels of trucks- XE, SE, and the overloaded LE. I drove the SE as it should be comparable to the XLT. 5.6 V-8, 5 speed auto, with tow package that includes a 3.36 rear end, cooling, transmission heat gauge,VDC ( their form of traction control and yes it works darn good),extendable mirrors with a wide angle mirror at the bottom, receiver hitch, and the wiring harness for the trailer and brake controller. It also was equipped with the Utility bed option which includes a spray in liner that is warranteed forever, and aluminum channel iron that is bolted to the bedrails ( I thought this was a worthless option as all the goodies to make it work are optional ), a glovebox size box that opens behind the drivers rear wheel ( not big enough to put anything in of usefulness), and the bench seat (comes standard with captains chairs) with the Fosgate stereo. The stereo is fabulous. Other features that are standard would be the low tire pressure indicator, rear seats foldup and totally out of the way, the center arm rest is similiar to the Dodge in that it is huge and has movable dividers, power door locks that you can also raise and lower the front windows with the key, radio controls on the steering wheel and on the rear console so that folks in the back can run the radio louder if the driver permits them to, auto dimming rear view mirror, and 265/70/18 Goodyear Wranglers. So, how did it drive? Steering is precise and the ride is better than my Lincoln. It has what they called zero geometry in that the truck does not raise in the front on acceleration nor does it nose dive in full ABS stop- it stays level. It is almost funeral quiet at 70 mph as there was zero wind noise. Power was extremely abundant on this truck with 32 miles on the gauge. I haven't driven anything that spiffy since my 69 Dodge Charger RT with the 425 HP/ 440 motor. The 5 speed auto is the slickest I've ever driven. It might be just a hair touchy though on the downshifts as it didn't take much gas to get to a lower gear. I would have to say that the abundance of power made the driveablility iffy. You really have to be careful not to make this thorobred jump. Window sticker price was $31,900.

The F-150 with the 5.4 three valve. It was the XLT equipped with trailer towing, 3.55 limited slip, and captains chairs. All other items were standard. The standard radio is a major improvement over the crap Ford has been putting in their trucks. I liked the radio staying on after the key has been removed and turns off when you open the door. The captains chairs are so much better than the Ford bench seat, I highly recommend them. The dash was laid out well though I had to fool with the power mirror **** to figure out how it worked. The radio still is too glitzy for me as to the adjustments- please- just give me some *****. Ride was fair as it wasn't much if any different than my 02 Screw. Power was more audible than real. Sounded great but wasn't anywhere near my expectations. I was disappointed with the power. But I also am aware that NEW Fords don't develop their max power until they are broke in. I reserve judgement on that issue. As far as the noise level, it isn't any quieter than my 02. Lots of wind noise at 70 mph. The particular truck I drove had the 255/70/16 tires and one of them was out of balance so the ride could have been better. Otherwise, typical Ford truck. Sticker price $32,894. I guess with all of the hype over the new F-150 I had high expectations. I was disappointed. For the average driver it is still one darn fine truck. But it ain't no match to the Titan. Titan had much better fit and finish, more standard amenties, better ride, and much more power off the lot.
Now the real test, which one will I buy? The Titan has a frame similiar to the F-150 but Nissan has been using a full box frame all along so it isn't something new for them. The Ford may have better resale value but then again if the Titan catches on it may have better resale value. Come January, I'll know for sure. I have been driving Fords for the last thiry years so I would say I am brand loyal to Ford, but the Titan- it's a lot more truck and better than Ford- at least today.

Old 12-26-2003, 06:53 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That doesnt suprise me. Nissan makes a great product. If they offered an extended cab w/8" box. I'd be taking a look

umm... an 8' box

Last edited by fonefiddy; 12-26-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:22 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Everytime I look at a rusty Nissan Hardbody, I think of what a Titan will look like in 5 years.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Ok, but can it tow around a huge trailer and be worked everyday until the end of it's life like a Ford can? I doubt it.

-Matt

Old 12-27-2003, 01:45 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have driven fords into the ground, beat them to death and they were still there the next day. My uncle had a 69 f350 witha 360 and a 4 speed manual. Boy that thing could take a beating. He sold it a year ago, ran on 6 cylenders because the others had no compression. had 426 thousand on it. I will stick to my fords, they have a little more expirience in pickups which can be used for something. I have not against imported cars and trucks, i don't think they can take the beating like my F250 superduty. I have had the axle 2 inches under mud, the semi wrecher could not pull me out ( it was a chevy though, he was trying impress me with his big 502, managed to impress me enough he never got paid ). I guy came down with his F350, a steiger winch on the front and back, and that pulled me out. Some idiot thought his toyota could go through it like a week later, ended up tweaking that front axle. When it comes down to it, numbers do not impress me, the heritage of fords trucks does impress me. Like comparing the new duramax and the ol' 7.3 diesel. Even if the duramax had more power, i would take the 7.3 because it has been proven that it is worthy of being in my truck. Also it is nice to have a quiet truck, but it is not a deciding factor. If you are worried about horsepower, smoothness of the ride, and how quiet it is, maybe you should be looking at a SUV or a car. Trucks should have torque, not nessesarly a quiet ride, but it helps, and they are going to have a bumpy ride. You need stiff suspension in a heavy duty truck, or you are going to bottom out when you have weight in the back. I think the F-150 is very durable, but i think it's quality as a truck is going downhill, trying to please people who do not know what they want.

Last edited by 78fordman; 12-27-2003 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:59 PM
cableguy2
New User
No way can you compare a Nissan of the past with those being made today. True, the old ones were rust buckets, but so were the old Toyotas!

With the advances in technology and the investment made by Nissan, there is no doubt that this truck will look as pretty now as it does 5 years from now. As far as towing, 9900 for the Ford verse 9500 for the Nissan...might as well be the same. Very interesting that Ford did not jump its towing capacity from 9500 to 9900 until Nissan released the Titan

Ford does make an excellent truck but there is no doubt if you look at it, drive it and read what every publication is saying about the Titan, the Titan is the hands down winner in all categories and when maxed out, will be cheaper to boot.

Got to give those guys credit, they certainly did their homework far better than Toyota did when they entered the market. I just wish that GM and Ford would do the same.

Cableguy2

Old 12-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Mean Bone
Freshman User
Titan . . . quick, nimble and FUN!!!!

Drove a basic Titan, today (crank windows, no electric door locks, etc, for around $23K). I missed all the convenience stuff but man did it drive. It has the acceleration that I wish the F-150 did. The 5L engine is standard (no 4L stuff here) with the gearing and auto 5 speed tranny to put it to good use (why can't Ford do that!!!!). Put's a grin on your face.

I've been holding off on the '04 F-150 'cause I want a moon roof and they're hard to find (I've not seen a single XLT SCab w/moon roof in south Georgia) . . . but this Titan has given me pause. Even tho the Titan does not come with a moon roof in any model, it's so much more fun to drive than the F-150 that I've got to give it consideration.

Ugly . . . I can't tell when I'm driving and that's where I live (inside the truck!) . . . and if driving it makes me grin I really don't care!

Reliable . . . I've got an '88 Pathfinder with 180K that's been great (I'm the original owner). My 89 F-150 has caught on fire twice (now you know why I'm lookin').

Hard working . . . I don't work a truck that hard. What percentage of people really do?

. . . so moon roof or not I'm considering it.

Last edited by Mean Bone; 12-27-2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Mean bone, you may want to talk with your Nissan dealer. The dealership I was at yesterday had a copper colored one on the floor, 4" lift, huge tires, 4X4, with a MOONROOF! Most likely an aftermarket but if the dealer installs it, it should be warranteed. This one had a $ 44,000 sticker on it. Might make a phone call and buy a truck.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:49 PM
cableguy2
New User
I went to Nissan's web site and you can get the truck with a factory sun roof.

Old 12-27-2003, 10:52 PM
F-150KingRanch
Junior User
Well, as I see it, some of you have over looked the over all strength of the Nissan truck -Vs- Ford truck. First the only place in performance they match up is they both have the same compression ratio & 9.8:1 What you guys may have overlooked;
Power rating @ rpm FORD WINS at 300hp AT 3000rpms .
Power rating @ rpm NISSAN 305 AT 4900rpms meaning; this Nissan truck has to achieve 1900 more hp than our F150 to get to get 5hp. With a load this truck would be red lined. You do that all day and it will spend most of its time in the shop!
Torque; FORD and Nissan real close until you look at the real (GVRW) FORD F150 Super cab FX4 =7,150lbs -vs- Nissan at 6,486 lbs
Nissan is dreaming with there 9,500lbs max towing capacity! If you put 15% of that max toe wt w/is 1375lbs on your Nissan truck, that leaves you with less than 300 pounds for you, and the fuel! That will never fly, they didn't put real truck breaks on the Nissan either. Ford 13.7 inch disk -vs- Nissans 12. inch please! They did make a good show with there truck, but it is there first attempt. Here is the good news, Nissan will get better with there full size as they go. They cant put little truck parts in a full size truck and expect it to hold up! Never happen, and it didn't this time either! The winner is FORD the real work truck. Nissan won in FOUR WHEELER MAG, but they never had a clue as how to judge trucks anyway!

Nissan clearly is using Fords steel Ladder frame as well, what else will they steal from ford? I noticed that when 4wheeler did there contest in the dessert the FORD didnt have 3;70 in its truck, so there was a clear bias in that contest! Fords rear end axel that does the most isnt 3;55 but its stil a good rear end. Nissan is so full of #^%(&* lol

F-150 KR 4X4 / F-550 CC 4X4 PULLING A 40ft Teton W/T 5TH WHEEL

Old 12-28-2003, 08:45 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
If F-150KingRanch is right then it sounds like the Ford is more of a work truck than a play truck like the Titan. Of course the Titan isn't gonna be up to snuff because it's a new truck. Ford is the best truck because of many years of experience. Maybe these newer trucks will make it so our Ford's will get more options and reliability for a cheaper price. Just something to think about.

-Matt

Post edited as it originally referred to another post that has since been deleted.

Last edited by Carlene; 12-28-2003 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Mean Bone
Freshman User
Thanks, guys!

Flash and cableguy2, thanks for the info!!

Old 12-28-2003, 05:59 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
I give Nissan a lot of credit on their 1st effort in the half ton market. F-150KingRanch, please watch the "facts" you are giving out. The 5.4 reaches its max HP at 5000 RPM and not 3000, so the Titan actually gets its power lower than the F-150. I agree though that the 3.55 isn't the best gearing to judge the F-150 in. 3.73 is the best allaround gear you can get it in. The Titan benefits a lot from a 5-speed auto compared to the F-150's 4 speed. The Titam also has less weight to its advantage in unloaded performance. It is a good 300+ lbs less than a similar F-150. I think either truck would be good with the F-150 having the advantage for heavier pulling due to longer available wheelbase, bigger brakes and being a heavier truck. The f-150 has many configurations to choose from and with the lower gears is a fairly quick truck. But Nissan is definately a contender, unlike toyota who still hasn't gotten it figured out.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:45 PM
F-150KingRanch
Junior User
This is a part of what I posted AG4.0 ;
Power rating @ rpm FORD WINS at 300hp AT 3000rpms .
Power rating @ rpm NISSAN 305 AT 4900rpms meaning; this Nissan truck has to achieve 1900 more hp than our F150 to get to get 5hp. With a load this truck would be red lined. You do that all day and it will spend most of its time in the shop!

I never said that it was Nissans max rpms, and all of my data is out of a few magazine articles. I do try to keep the facts right. Again I never said what your insinuating I said! No big deal man!

The power max of the Titan does leave Toyota looking stupid, you are right there, and you are right in that Nissan has done it! They have a good truck, Nissan has entered the full size arena. And my hat goes off to them! Sorry, I didn't mean to diss them so hard. But look at the current 4wheeler mag. Its not fair, and it is so set up in Nissans favor, please look at it! Tell me what you think?

I am sure I don't have to tell you who got Motor trends truck of the year! I have a question for you, when you look at the tires on the Titan, they have P285's Vs Fords P255! That and the fact that they didn't let the ford with the 3;73 ratio enter! This isn't right at all, is it? And then they dont put the same tires on all of the trucks! Looks like BS

I do have to say this! My facts are solid! Check it out! If I'm wrong correct me! I'm not perfect, although my wife says I think I am...lol

F150 KingRanch 4X4 Supercrew / F550 PSD CC 4X4 LB

Old 12-28-2003, 10:15 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
No flames here guys but horsepower does not pull a load- torque does. Titan has 90% torque available at 1800 RPMs and the 5.4 has 90% available at 2400 RPM's. The Titan is the workhorse.

F-150 kingranch, you are right, the Ford had a much better power package with the smaller diameter tires and the 3.55 gears but there is no comparison on which will cover the quarter mile first. It's the Titan, and it wouldn't even break a sweat. But I doubt any of us buy trucks for racing. In the end, only time and a history of problems, if any, and how Nissan treats its owners will be the success or failure of their truck. Frankly, the message I've been hearing from Nissan car owners is that they are doing the right thing. How unusual!

Quick Reply: Battle of the Supercrews- Titan vs F-150