Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change on 96 w/153k

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 07:12 PM
tunerzbronco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission fluid change on 96 w/153k

I have 153k on my 96 bronco, the fluid is starting to look a little dirty. The truck runs great, I would just like to do some preventive maintenance. What is the safest way to change the fluid and filter and what is the best product to use? Any suggestions,
Thanks,
Armand

Old 11-14-2005, 04:25 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Safest is by using a pump throgh dipstick tube (jcwhitney sells one, I know that for sure) to suck out as much as possible, then remove the pan, drain the torque converter, and replace the filter. (which is more like a screen) If you don't have pump, you just have to be a bit more careful when removing the pan and draining the tha ATF.

The E4OD need for Dexron/Mercon, no Mercon V, and dual rated fluids (Mercon/Mercon V) aren't exactly ideal either.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 AM
RanchRodsTX
Senior User
Just an FYI, I have placed a magnetic strip in the pan of every vehicle I have changed since the 80's. It is really surpising what it looks like when you change it after adding it. I thought it was a joke but I'm convinced.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Super-Dayv
Junior User
Your Ford dealership should have a machine that will flush out and change all 16 qts. of fluid in the transmission. I think BG Products supplies it. Bad thing is that it is at the dealership which means more $$$ but it is the easiest way to change all 16 qts. that I know of.