General Automotive Discussion

Crap Or Cannon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 01:50 AM
devilsword
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Crap Or Cannon?

Okay so i have been pundering this for sometime and i would love to get everones oppinion on this. Before I give my opinon(and whatan opinion it is) i will perpose my qestion.

~ I am sure you have all seen, examined, or atleast heard an import tuner muffer. If unsure what one is here is a <PIC> . My first qestion is what is your general ideal/opinion of this type of muffler( I.E> what do you think of the sound, the look, the trend, performance wise ect....) and please be as blunt as possible i want a good laugh.

~ next would you ever concider modifying you ford to run one of these lovely toys

~And last just to add a lil fun to this any funny stories envolving the use of one of these product (ex. a neon cuts you off at a traffic light right as it turns red. Slamming on his breaks your ford shoves his lovly crome cannon all the way through to his front neon plate. EXTRA POINTS: after the accident you towed whats left of his car home.)

okay so there are the 3 qestions answer one, two, or all i am looking for some good honest opinions. i will post mine after this post becasue i was trying to be compleatly unbias as possible in the qestion not to sway anyones opinion. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 02:28 AM
devilsword
Senior User
Talking

okay here are my official opinions on the above qestions....
~1 okay i live in the town based around the University Of Virginia basicly a college town so this lovely product is around every corner. Here people slap the crap cannon on everything(becasue basicly it sounds like one illongated fart). I don't just see it on ever single civic in town but i also have the join of listening to one on a Mercury Topaz(if you know the car you would understand). Course the guy that put it on the Topaz also bought a 2 and a half inch tach.(when the car is built with one) and paid the extra 90 bucks for a shift light to attach to it( when the car was an Auto., i geuss he wante dthe light so he could switch from 1st to 2nd then Drive). Honestly i think the noise is unbarable. the only reason i think they really put it on there is to draw attention to themself. Though i have only seen a few cars in town that i would say was worthy of turning my head to look at most of them are attached to rust buckets and only draw attention to the fact that they can't keep up to the all might Ford truck. Now that lovely sound i mention to sound like a fart but aparently they think its a sound of power!! Honestly it sounds just my yard trimmer got to love all that 2cc power it puts out when i trim back the weeds lol. But i m not all bad agenst them i do think some look vary interesting in design(and i am not talking the 90 buck ones you get from auto zone). And i give a standing ovation for companys creativity in modifying the same design slightly by adding carbon fiber or painting it. In short i beleave if you want to hear true sound stick you ear to a well tuned diesel engin or the lovly sound a supercharged big block ford V8 makes when it burns down the interstate that is the sound of true power the kind that with ever rev you feel it in the pit of your stomac.

~2 woulds i put it on my truck "HELL NO"

~3 okay a short story to end this i pulled up to a light next to a 91 civic hatch back with more rust then a chevy in a junk yard. But he seemed to be proud of his lovely crap shooter out of the back of his car that seem to be worth more then the car itself. i shake my head and let hi pull it off the line. As i through it into 3rd i quickly gain speed and started to fly passed him. As i zoomed passedi looked back in the mirror to laugh at him rocking in his seat to make the car go faster, but what i did se gave me more laughes then i ever exspected. The tail pipe he connected his Pride and joy to had rusted through and now his pride had fallen off and was left on the side of the road.

(this is just my opinion i hope everyone exspresses theres i don't want to see personal attacks on people just becasue there opinion is diffferent. so lets keep the anger down and exspress your oppinion to show the cons of something. we are all adults so lets act like it)

Old 11-11-2005, 10:37 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
On the right import they sound ok, for my 8 banger though, I am more of a glasspack kinda guy.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 AM
slash31938
Posting Guru
ive got one of them glasspacks on my rig, but it for sure does not sound like those lil' crappy imports. i think it is just about louder than those 1,000$ soundsystems they like to buy too.

Also, devilsword, you may have good eyesight, but the rest of us struggle sometimes to read that microscopic print, so make it a 12 pt next time.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:05 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, they are crap, usually poorly made to begin with. I'll stick with Flowmaster any day over that crap. I find your story of racing the Civic hard to believe, though I have seen tons of them attempt the stupidest races. Last week a chick in a Civic hatchback tried to race my Ranger...

Old 11-11-2005, 11:30 PM
devilsword
Senior User
sry about the size i never adjusted it just becasue i thought it was the size everyone was using. And trust me if it wasn't for my contacts i wouldn't be able to see my hand infront of myface

Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 PM
t_dickie
Laughing Gas
I think they sound terrible, look worse, and would never be caught dead having a car/sport truck sound like that unless it had the power to back up the noise. Even then I'd try to keep away from the sound.

I'll sum it up like this, if it ain't a V8 or V-twin, don't make it loud!

Trevor

Old 11-12-2005, 08:22 AM
slash31938
Posting Guru
its ok, devilsword, every NoOb makes a mistake once in a while.

I think that large V8s sound pretty good with a glasspack on them, as long as its not TOO much noise coming out. Also, Ford never specified either a big block or a small block, thats a chevy thing.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:16 PM
devilsword
Senior User
haha i haven't been a noob since 30 somthing post ago but when it comes to my truck i am right ther eiwth the exsperts

Old 11-12-2005, 10:29 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm...my friend and I were thinkin' about making a potato gun today, I think I just found a new use for these POSes.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:48 AM
fbodyfan
Senior User
I think they sound horrible. Every once in a while, I'll tear around parking lots in my friends acura integra, with the a**master deluxe 2000 fartcannon with a 3" exhaust on that beefy 1.8L... It handles well, which is fun, but the sound from it is simply embarassing. I hate them, and every car with them. Every one sounds the same, is usually on a POS car, and is, in general, as annoying as any sound can come from a car (besides the whistler tip... But that's another story.)

#2. I suggest you seek psychological evaluation for asking.

#3. It's parade day locally... A windy little backroad we have that runs on the outer edge of town is packed on both sides with parked cars. As I approach the stop sign, I notice there's alot of traffic ahead getting into the park, so I slow down right around a bend to a stop. right behind the rest of the cars. School marching band is playing, it's loud, etc. BOOM! 1993 neon green civic hatch rear ends my '01 F-150 (with twin straight back pipes) at 35 mph. My truck simply lurched forward, and there was enough space in front of me where I didnt hit anything. I looked at my buddy next to me, and he was fine, so I got out. I look back and I saw the biggest disgrace of a car ever. This civic had all the body panels , fart cannon, rims, all the ricey stuff, smashed to pieces. My tailpipes carved two nice big holes up his carbon fiber hood, his front end was smashed, fluids everywhere, windshield broken, his airbags deployed which broke his nose (kid was standing there hodling his nose in a wifebeater and pants around his knees) front axle snapped and both wheels were turned in, dashboard split, and I later learned frame was pretty severely bent. As I took in the scene, I looked at my truck. Two bent up tailpipes and a hanging beat up bumper. Cost me approximately 250 to fix. His was totalled. Who said imports are better than domestics? I'd MUCH rather be in my truck in an accident than a plastic unibody box.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:12 AM
roushracing617
Senior User
Big exhaust on a small engine makes every bit as much sense as a little exhaust on a big engine.NONE!!! oh, by the way, they sound like crap!

Old 11-15-2005, 01:12 AM
devilsword
Senior User
haha i have ben in 2 accidents in my truck and the worst thing that came from it was replacing a fender(12 bucks from the junk yard) and a few mins. with a winch a 2 trees. the bes tpar tis that i know my 87 no mater how many accident i get in all i need is a hammer and a screw driver and it back on the road.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:08 PM
pizalm
Senior User
On the right cars they sound decent, an example would be a turbo eclipse. Even some N/A 4 bangers aren't bad, if they have the the ***** to back it up I'm alright with it.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:26 PM
devilsword
Senior User
i don't know i am kinda agenst anything below a six cyl. in car and trucks. i just think that the time and effort that goes into bringing performace out of a 4 banger isn't ever worth the money or the outcome.