Sponsored by:

87' non-functioning gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Greezy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87' non-functioning gauges

My 87' has a non-functioning temp and fuel gauge, I have heard the temp gauge is fairly easy to fix...how easy? I also hear that my fuel gauge will require me to drop the tank, is this correct? Any feedback/input would be great, and what a great site by the way!!

Thanks

Old 11-10-2005, 11:57 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your temperature gauge problem may be caused by the coolant temp sensor. Have you checked that? The fuel gauge problem could be either the actual gauge or the sending unit inside the tank. I would check out the cluster fuel gauge before dropping the tank and replacing the sending unit. If it is your actual gauge or gauges are bad then it would be easiest to just replace the entire instrument cluster.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Greezy
New User
Good to hear...I will start there today and report back, thanks.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:04 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the 87 have a constant voltage regulator? On the older trucks it would go out and the gauges would not work.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Super-Dayv
Junior User
Actually it is simple to replace just one gauge...it is more work to replace the entire cluster than just the gauges.

Also you can check the gauge or the sending unit @ the plug going into the tank.

Just my .02 let me know if you need any help, I can try to walk you through it.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:32 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
You can't just go to walmart and pick up a new gauge or cluster. You basically can't get either of them unless you pull them from a junkyard. Plus if two of them are bad, why would you take 2 out of the cluster you pulled and put it in your cluster when you could just replace the entire thing all at once but I guess it depends on who is doing it. Most of the time anyways its the wiring or the sending unit/temp sensor that make the gauges not work right and not the actual gauge itself.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Greezy
New User
...ok so I have been working all day and haven't been able to get to this issue. I am curious though, if 2 of the gauges are out; the temp, the fuel, and now it seems the oil pressure gauge is acting funny(fluctuating quickly between normal and low then high, back and forth). For this novice Ford enthusiast, where do I locate the sending unit, exactly? Any chance it could effect ALL/most of the gauges? Thanks. You folks are so much better then a Hayes/Chilton any day!

Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
The "sending unit" is a device that is in your fuel tank that is attached to the fuel pump assembly. It has a float on it and it raises or lowers and then sends a reading to the fuel gauge which therefore shows you your fuel level. I would first check the wiring and connector that goes into the top of the fuel tank just incase thats the problem as davy recommended (regarding the fuel gauge). The sending unit won't affect your oil nor your temperature gauge. Can you give some more info about your truck?.......engine?...EFI?...etc.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Greezy
New User
Its a 5.0L EFI

Old 11-12-2005, 07:05 AM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
ok well you should pull the codes in addition to checking the wiring. The computer should be able to tell you if some of your sensors are bad and thats including the coolant temp sensor. You can pull the codes using a paperclip but I would go ahead and buy a code reader for 30 bucks. You won't regret getting it. Checking the codes is usually the first thing you should do if you are having a problem.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Greezy
New User
Ok, so I have FINALLY got down to dealing with this and my question is this...I have everything pulled apart from in front of the cluster. It seems to be pretty tight in there and I am afraid of pulling the cluster forward without removing the wiring harness attached to it. It seems to be giving some but how much can I pull that cluster out before I have to take the ENTIRE dash apart to disconnect the harness? Just nevious about pulling the cluster out too far and ruining the whole job.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:48 PM
chevygoneford
Senior User
got to go fishing

you have to fish your hand in behind the cluster to release the tabs and it'll come right out dont be nervous tilt the wheel all the way down and there you go try un pluging the plug a few times and see if the two guages work sometimes the ribbon connecter looses connection the temp going up and down in the vehicle and age