Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluids, which ones for what?

Old 11-10-2005, 08:26 PM
cjbronco
Senior User
cjbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fluids, which ones for what?

Ok, so Im getting the SROD tranny rebuilt. So here's my question, what type of fluid should I put into it? SAE 85W/90 or atf? As far as I know, it has atf in it now. The transfer case is gonna be flushed and get atf, and the front dana 44 that just had gears put in it just gets gear oil right? I was also wondering, its time for the first oil change since her rebuild(300 six), when is a good time, if it is needed, to switch to synthetic oil? I've been told its soo much better. Any experience with it? Im also gonna do a full tune up on her before the winter.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
cookie88
Post Fiend
cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
I did not know Ford put the single rail in full size trucks.....

Use a good synthetic ATF in the tranny and T-case. 80W-90 will be fine in the D44 and the 8.8 rear.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:15 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm with cookie. To the best of my knowledge the M5OD was the only manual tranny put in the full-sized 1/2 ton trucks after the NP units were dropped. Best advice... put back into it, the same kind of fluid that comes out before the rebuild. Unless the unit failed prematurely, why mess with what works?

Old 11-11-2005, 11:18 AM
460srule
Junior User
460srule is starting off with a positive reputation.
Synthetic in the motor is great!! I have used it for a few years and I believe in it.It really makes a big difference in the cold(-35c in jan.around here).I had a '84 BroncoII with 2.8 and NO block-heater.With the synthetic it started like in the summer.I have had good results by changing the oil filter twice between full oil change.Full change every 9-10,000km;change filter every 3,000km.This way it is not that much more expensive than regular oil and a lot better for your engine.With a new rebuild I like to do the first three changes with regular oil and then synthetic all the way after that.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
how many miles are on your new motor? synthetics should wait till its fully broke in. running synthetics in everything else would be a good idea and was proven to give a 20% increase in performance due to less friction. use the Royal Purple brand

Old 11-12-2005, 10:31 AM
460srule
Junior User
460srule is starting off with a positive reputation.
In my opinion, as soon as the rings are seated then you can switch to synthetic motor oil.0-30 or 5-30 probably best for a fresh engine.I sold the BroncoII but see around on a regular basis .Don't know if they stayed with synthetic oil.My '95 5.8L has 319,000km on it and I am using 10-30 synthetic with this change schedule.I may upgrade to better filters or change at 2,000km intervals as the oil seems to be a bit on the dark side.After the filter has been changed and oil topped up,10 minute run time and the oil should look like a complete change was done.I also put a magnet on the filter to hold any filings in the filter.Even with 10-30 this truck will start at any temperature,and I know an engine with regular oil would need to be warmed with the block-heater or boosted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.