Sponsored by: Moser

I think I am missing some parts in my steering column

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 10:55 AM
Custom Junk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 79 with a loose wheel. I took it off yesterday, along with the cuffs and found some weird stuff. First its a tilt column, I didnt know this because there was no lever on the side. Second, on the sides are two pins that locate the tilt mechanism (gold plated stuff) to the main column. The pins are to the left and right of the knuckle for the steering shaft. The pins have threads in the middle of them but no screws. When I shake the wheel, the column is moving right where the screws should be. What goes there??

Old 03-28-2002, 11:11 AM
79f3504x4
Senior User

Nothing! The threads are there to facilitate removal-puller threads into hole & pull them out.Called a tilt wheel pin puller available @Mac ,Snapon etcI have never owned one ,I have two screws I thread in & pull them w/channellocks.Brian

Old 03-28-2002, 03:26 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend

The older model Ford tilt wheel operates by push/pulling on the turn signal lever. I always thought the turn signal lever felt kind of weak for that job but I guess it holds up since Ford used it on their tilt wheels for a number of years.

Let me know how it works out, I'm having similar issues with the tilt wheel in my 78, and haven't tackled it yet.

Old 03-28-2002, 03:55 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine in my 78 is lose too. After taking it apart, I realized it has tilt. Mine only moves to the left, and I'm sure it's broken from using it as a handle to climb in.

I found the problem way down inside the column. There are two or three screws with prong-like thingies that stick into notches in the top half of the column. There is only about 1/4" of column at the bottom of the notch and one of mine broke through. It's hard to explain, but I could take pictures if you think your problem might be similar. I have to take mine out anyway to swap cabs.

Kevin K.

Old 03-28-2002, 04:48 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,708 Likes on 1,381 Posts