help for a bad scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:54 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help for a bad scratch

<HR style="COLOR: #666666" SIZE=1>

Over the weekend my 7yr old was kind enough to crach his bike into the doors on my screw .
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on a fix for it?
I don't want to repaint the doors because I know in a few years they will not match the rest of the truck. I would rather leave the scratch as is than have the doors mismatched. know what i mean!
It is not all the way to bare metal but its close. Short of using regular touch-up paint does anyone have any suggestions? I know that without painting the doors I can't get rid of it completely. That's not what I am looking for. I just want to fix it the best I can without painting the whole thing.
I could get a picture and post if if anyone wants to see it.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:28 AM
jtmerritt
Tuned
Is the scratch down to the metal or just through the clearcoat? If it is just through the clearcoat you can go to a auto paint supplier and get the necessary materails for a repair. Kit will include some super fine emery cloth, scratch repair wax, etc. They will know what you need plus how to do it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it take it to a body shop and they can fix it for about a 1 - 2 hour labor charge. If it is down to metal then you will have to go the touch up route but I would still check with the paint supply folks about options.

John

Old 11-10-2005, 12:58 AM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Check out your local car dealer and ask them who does their paint chip and scratch repair. Most dealers use them as an alternative to bodyshop repair when the damage to the paint is minute. These guys are typically privately owned outfits that travel from dealership to dealership doing nothing more than parking lot paint chip and scratch repair. They are most likely your least expensive alternative.