2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:21 PM
chains
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Block heater

Well, it's getting close to snowmobiling season here in the northeast. I am planning a trip far up into the great white north during the coldest part of the season and am considering having a block heater installed. My local dealer never heard of someone requesting a block heater in a gas powered vehicle. He quoted an installed price of $300. This seems a bit higher than I expected. Checking with an online genuine Ford dealer, I was told that the heater has been discontinued but he has one in stock and would sell it to me for $100.

With so many vehicles in Canada with block heaters, why would this part be discontinued on a new vehicle? Do either of these prices seem out of line? Has anyone had a heater installed? Is it necessary? Where does it get installed? Is this something that I would be able to do myself?

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:13 AM
DearbornDerek
Senior User
Originally Posted by chains
Well, it's getting close to snowmobiling season here in the northeast. I am planning a trip far up into the great white north during the coldest part of the season and am considering having a block heater installed. My local dealer never heard of someone requesting a block heater in a gas powered vehicle. He quoted an installed price of $300. This seems a bit higher than I expected. Checking with an online genuine Ford dealer, I was told that the heater has been discontinued but he has one in stock and would sell it to me for $100.

With so many vehicles in Canada with block heaters, why would this part be discontinued on a new vehicle? Do either of these prices seem out of line? Has anyone had a heater installed? Is it necessary? Where does it get installed? Is this something that I would be able to do myself?

Thanks.
The plug goes on the lower left(driver side) of the block. There is a round hole with a plug(cap) that you will have to pull out and then put the block heater assemble in. Then you connect the wire to that and run it to the front of the truck. I don't know if it's necessary where you live, but there is a reason we put them on every truck that goes to Canada, with that in mind it has not been discontinued it's an option that normally does not get put on truck's that stay here in the states. Could not say anything about the prices.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Big Sky F-150
New User
$300 is a rip off

My 05 Scab XLT came with block heater--as all trucks do up here in Montana. I know many people who have had block heaters installed for $100 out the door! $300 seems way excessive to me. Good luck!

Big Sky