Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Highbeams... already checked multi-function switch

All:
Desparate to gain knowledge... HELP!?!?

1999 Ford E350 Econoline Chassis:
- 7.3L Diesel
- Purchased vehicle in May 05
Experienced failure of highbeam.
Replaced with new switch, but still no highbeam (flash/highbeam)
Lowbeams work fine, as do the Hazards.

Things checked:
- Continuity of wires contained in male connector (going into multi-function switch)
- Checked fuses (don't think we ever found one for the headlights... is this accurate? If not, where would it be found?)

Are there specific voltages, or other readings that should be checked on the male connector going into multi-function switch?

Any advice you can lend on this subject is GREATLY appreciated. This vehicle is due for an inspection very soon by our DMV.

Thanks all.

Jason

Old 11-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
There is a fuse for the highbeam headlamps. Look in the fuse box under the dash. It should be fuse #30, 15 amp. Fuses #25 and #31 are for the lowbeams.

The wire for the highbeams is a lightgreen/black.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
karlb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just fixed mine. someone had tried to fix it before replaced the muti function switch and in the process damaged the socket that plugs into the back of the multi function switch. the two clips that keep it locked on were snapped off, this happens sometimes if you are too aggressive in removing these types of plugs. In addition the wires are held in the socket with some small plastic stints that allow the wire end to be pushed into the socket and not removed unless you pry the stint back while pulling on the wire or if the stint breaks which was the case here. The switch had been replaced and yet no one checked the wires inserted in the socket. 3 were missing stints leaving them loose enough to dis-connect duriing certain steering wheel movements. when I tried to get a harness all that is offered is, what you had done... a pig tail. which means cutting the wires and adding in the "pigtail". I chose to fix the socket and not cut the wires. with some glue,silicone and robbing stints from the bare terminals in the socket, I was able to repair the harness and socket, all is fine now. with the black rtv in place to prevent the stints from ever breaking or falling out again. The rocking motion from the tilt wheel puts quite a stress on the harness. I wonder if your wires have pulled apart where joined or maybe your socket needs to be looked at real close. I dropped the whole column as assembled. it is VERY easy and would offer that as a suggestion to look at the whole assembly to see what is going on. remove the lower dash panel under the steering wheel and you will see that four studs are what retain the steering column. there is plenty of play to drop this down to reveal the harness as attache to the top of the column. Be sure to disconnect battery before you do this. I have heard the air bag could blow! also if you have not replaced the multi function switch already! now would be a great time to take it apart and clean it or put in a new one. good luck from now my blinkers work great!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:57 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,146 Likes on 2,194 Posts
i know this may sound stupid, but did you check to see if the bulbs were any good?? on numerous occasions i have had people ask about the dimmer switch, because the headlights did not work either on low or high beam. my first question is did you check the bulbs?? 9 out of 10 times, it is nothing more than 2 bad bulbs. the easiest way to check the switch is swap out a bulb for a known good one. if the lights all of a sudden 'magically start to work", wallah. you fixed it.