Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

351W engine swap

Old 10-31-2005, 09:41 PM
frankenbroncoII
Elder User
frankenbroncoII is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 351W engine swap

this question is on behalf of my dad. he perchased a 89 Bronco a few years back with a 302 efi and loved it. plenty of power and git and go. when the water pump went out on it, had a mishap while taking the old one off and broke and ear off the block itself and was irreparable. since has swapped in a 351 efi windser out of a another 89 bronco and changed all wiring and ecm and exaust and emmisions to make it work, it ran fine and had plenty of power in the truck in came from, but in ours it runs very very rich, stalls at idle once warmed up and is way underpowered. now this isnt our first engine swap nor are we novinces at this but this one we cant figure out, checked all wiring and vacum hoses all seem fine, aslo while running there is a strong gasoline oder comming from the engine compartment. also just for added info. its 4x4 with the e4od tranny.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
You say you have swapped the EEC computer to one for a 351W. Does it show any error codes? Is the IAC solenoid the same one from the 351W or is it still the one from the original 302? Larger displacement of the 351 may be adversely affected if the IAC has not been swapped to match the volume of air the engine requires to run especially at idle. The solenoids may look identical but the valve bores are different depending upon which engine/displacement it is applied to. This is the first thing that comes to mind since you are dealing with what would seem to be a fuel-air ratio problem. Fuel pressure regulator and Thermactor plumbing would be the next things to look at I would think.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
i agree. with grey. the fpr is possibly bad as well dumping to much fuel. did you install a new o2 sensor and if so what brand. for some reason the bosch brands suck and are very very flaky so you might need to get one from ford. pull codes as well.
also i didnt think the e4od was available in 89. are you sure on that tranny

Old 11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
frankenbroncoII
Elder User
thanks for the info and on direction to look at, i dont believe we changed the iac , and yes its a e4od transmission i have an extra one if you like with electric shift 4x4 borg warner tcase

Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
AAAAAAARGHHHH!!!!!! *runs screaming into the night* Halloween finally caught up with me! NO, no, anything but the electronic BW1356...please...I'll do (just about) ANYTHING but not that!

Seriously though, thanks for the offer but I already have the same setup from my '92 that I am looking to part with.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:42 PM
frankenbroncoII
Elder User
yeah i dislike the push buttion elctric tcases but it came with the 351 and no one wonts it lol, i have owned several BIIs all with manuel 1350 t cases never a problem, my best friend has the elctric version on his ranger and nothing but trouble.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:30 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
They are a great idea for soccer moms who will A) never use the 4WD, B) not know the difference if the t-case doesn't engage, or C) have absolutely no idea what that "4x4" button does. But for those of us who know what we are doing and how to use the system, its track record is pretty damned pathetic. Which is why shortly I will have TWO electronically shifted 1356 T-cases to part with. (Thank you Grogtronics for the manual version).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.