Computer Chips & Tuners  

Diablo Delta Kill Switch

Old 10-28-2005, 07:37 PM
tankhead
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablo Delta Kill Switch

I have a Diablo Delta performance chip and Python alarm system. Unfortunately, I need additional protection. Just found out thru good sources the local meth heads are lookin to hit my truck. Is there any possible harm that can be done to the ECU from prolonged use of this ? I see in MotorHaven its 47% off. Should I be concerned w/ this? Is this type of protection relatively easy to bypass? Thanks!!!

Old 10-31-2005, 10:09 PM
tankhead
Elder User
Glad I inquired about this first. Better than being sorry later. The last thing I want is to mess up my truck. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2005, 01:49 PM
tankhead
Elder User
I found this on a site:

When enabled, the vehicles ECU is put into a “sleep” mode and will not start, even with the correct PAT’s key.

Don't understand the acronym (PAT's) and is it me or typo but why it won't start even w/ the 'correct' PAT's key. I e-mailed DiabloSport w/ ?'s posted here:

Not at all works very sweet

Thank you for your interest in DiabloSport!
Stay tuned,
Willie, a proud member of the DiabloSport Support Team

Nuff said I guess! Any input is appreciated!

Old 11-15-2005, 02:13 PM
MotorHaven Guy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PATS = passive anti-theft. Ie, keys with a chip in them.

The kill switch simply turns off the ability for the computer to boot up, and doesn't impact anything else.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:21 PM
tankhead
Elder User
NICE! Just so apprehensive about this kill switch. All I read is about everybody having to hide thiers or other elaborate methods of anti-theft switches. Never to the ECU though. DiabloSport has worked well w/ this custom chip, this looks like a slam dunk also. Will be ordering from MotorHaven soon. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2005, 09:01 AM
tankhead
Elder User
Got it! Quick question though. Looked up on DiabloSport's web-site, read instructions and did a search here. I know I have to disconnect battery. But do I need to do both positive and negative cables? I'm almost sure it is just the negative but, can't veify that anywhere and don't want to screw it up! Thanks!

Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 AM
MotorHaven Guy
Senior User
Disconnect the negative. FYI, you really don't even need to disconnect the battery, so long as the keys aren't in the ignition so no power goes to the computer. The battery disconnection is merely a precautionary measure because you wouldn't believe how many people leave the ignition turned on when installing a chip so they can listen to the radio.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 AM
tankhead
Elder User
Thanks! It's been a few years but if I remember correctly i can even take the plastic cover off to get to the port. Maybe I'll try that first before I loosen the harness bolt. I'm just so apprehensive about disconnecting the ECU from the harness. After installing this custom Diablo Delta chip, it kept throwing the check engine light. Well, while trouble shooting I found that I had bent a connector pin on the ECU. After straightening it, everything been GREAT! Thank you!

Old 12-21-2005, 02:00 PM
tankhead
Elder User
Too sweet! I was figuring it wouldn't even allow it to crank but just doesn't allow it to turn over. Best insurance policy going. I like it cause I can enable it quickly at my discretion. Thanks AGAIN for everything!

Old 01-14-2006, 02:43 PM
tankhead
Elder User
MotorHaven Guy,

Got in early this morn froma 2,000 mi road trip. Left last Sunday night. My last post was on the 21st. Everything was smooth. Got her serviced and then got the sudden news my aunt and uncle had passed away in an auto accident. The timing of leaving and my truck's dilema were so close. We got a half mile down the road on our trip when it started. It was as if it was out of gas. Sputtered, tried to stall. The SES light came on but it was hard to tell if it was from the engine trying to stall. Pulled over, shut her down. Recycled the ignition and started right up. Drove around the neighborhood w/ everything normal. Got great mileage thru the mountains on that 1st leg. 12 mpg. Filled up in las Cruces. Got 1 1/2 hours sleep before sun-up at a rest stop 30 miles ouside of Phoenix. Stalled again in rush hour traffic in Phoenix. Same scenario. recycled the ignition once. Started as usual. Got back in traffic and ran great til L.A. No more stalls. Didn't get great mileage but didn't expect to w/ rpm's @ 2,300-2,500. It stalled 2 more times during the week in L.A. traffic. No particular pattern. The SES light did seem to come on soon after the initial sputter but it was hard to tell. Anyways recycled the ignition once. Stated "as usual". Return trip was uneventful til we hit the mountains of N.M. Uphill at 1900 rpm's in 5th. Stalled, SES light came on but stayed on this time after recycling the ignition. Goin down to get the code read this afternoon. Before I do was curious if I needed to have this 3-stage chip in the off position? Figured I should to be safe. Do u think this situation is being caused by the Kill Switch? Hopefully the codes w/ tell me something. Been on a couple trips like this w/ this set-up never had anything go wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tankhead; 01-14-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:42 AM
tankhead
Elder User
The code read P1299 (Cylinder Head Overtemperature Protection Active). Seems plausible after driving 16-17 hrs. w/ a 1.5 hour dinner stop in Phoenix. Or does this code mean something more serious? Does anybody think damage was done to the engine when this code goes off? The clerk who read the code says not to take it in unless it goes off again. Another clerk just standing there said I damaged my heads and would have to get em mill'd. I don't see any relationship between this incident and the other few times it stalled on this trip. I can understand the code goin off but all gauges and fluids were fine at the time. Nobody has recently serviced this truck but me and I can rest assured that "it" does not have a mind of its own. That week is one I wish never happened. Just wondering if I can forget about my truck woes before it hits the open road agian. But, all has been great since she got back in town. I don't know. Frustrating. Onward I guess! Any input would be appreciated!

Old 01-29-2006, 11:54 AM
MotorHaven Guy
Senior User
Have you done anything to verify if this code is happening without the chip as well? Need to rule that out first. No, you don't have damage, the code is there to notify that they computer did things to avoid damage.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 AM
tankhead
Elder User
As much as I wish i didn't have to, it stalled again. Wierd. It's not a sputtering kind of stall. The motor just shuts off, suddenly. As I'm coasting to a stop, the SES light comes on. After stopping and cycling the ignition once, it starts up and the light goes off. I don't believe the fluid level, battery and seat belt warning lights go on after it shuts down. Anyways. When you say chip, do u mean the Kill Switch or the Delta 3-stage performance chip? I've had the performance chip a few years now and have been on a handfull of trips like this to the West coast since installing it, even towing. Ran perfect. I'd like to start w/ uninstalling the Kill Switch first. What do u think?

Old 02-13-2006, 02:46 AM
tankhead
Elder User
I just don't know what to do. Never ended up doin anything. It's been, what, 2 weeks and nothin. Don't get me wrong. It's not like I wish the condition persists. But, it can't be the chip. The condition that it exhibits is so damn random how am I to trouble shoot? Just don't see how it can be chip related?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 PM
BTCRUZR
New User
So, what ever came of your problem tankhead? I've got a 97 F150 4.6L that is doing the EXACT same thing, but prior to today?...I had never gotten a code. Today I did though, P1299. Ford of course said "let's start with the sensor," and then I was shocked to hear him say "it's only $19.93." So, I'm up for that, first thing. Any more recurances on yours? Let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diablo Delta Kill Switch