Sponsored by:

Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Fordbyford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Couple questions

The first question I have I have these rain gaurds above my windows made by Stampeed they're stuck to the truck with 3M tape or what ever but I was woundering is there away I can remove it without damaging my paint???

Second Question I have a 1996 Bronco 5.8 EFI w/K&N airintake I wanted to know if I could get a remote starter on it I know I can because it has an EFI but I was woundering if there was a brand that others might suggest and also a price range and could I install it or is that something for the professonals any replys would be greatly appreciated thank you

Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Chrisconsin
Junior User
your local best buy or circuit city has many remote starts/security systems to pick from-all witch would work with your bronco-starting at 'bout $150.00 - $550.00

Old 10-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Bodyman Chuck
Senior User
if you haven't tried a hair dryer or heat gun you can try that first it will take time to do.or take piece of fishing string and work it like a saw behind the vent to cut the two sided tape if it keeps breaking tie little knots in the line and then saw it off,hope you fish. clean the remaning tape and glue off with your thumb fingers and then some lighter fluid or similar spirits no lacquer thinners then wax doors.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:44 AM
Fordbyford
Senior User
I was thinking of using a hairdrier on it to warm it up and peel it off but I wasn't exactly sure on how to get the double sided tape off but thank you for the suggestions oh by the way after I remove the tape you say I should wash and wax the doors?

Last edited by Fordbyford; 10-28-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 PM
buddhabronc
Freshman User
When I did work in a bodyshop a few years ago (didn't stay long though, apprenticing just doesn't cut it for the bill paying) we used to use the plastic/flexible bondo spreaders. Just take some sandpaper and thin the edge of it enough til you get under the item and then slice through the tape.

Honestly I think the fishing line idea is a lot better. But as for removing the left over tape, go to a shop that sells automotive bodyworking supplies (paint, filler, etc...) they should carry the tape "eraser" (that is what my teacher called it, not sure of it's real name) but it feels like the gum erasers and fits onto an drill with a chuck that you buy with it, then you run it up to a speed you feel comfortable with and slowly go across the tape...and surprisingly it does "erase" it with no damamge to the apint what-so-ever! Just make sure you secure the little eraser sheets in the chuck all the way...no fun when they go flying! I had to use this method on a Grand Cherokee, we pulled off all the lower side molding and it was held on with lots of the 3M tape, and this eraser made it a fairly quick job. depending on how think the residue is, you may go through the sheets qucikly.

Sorry I can't give the actually name or manufacturer f it, it was about 6 years ago when I last used it, but any paint shop should have it, or ssomething similar.
You could also use the thinners that were suggested, they will work too. I don't know why, but I never liked using that method myself...the little eraser sheets were just kind of fun to meI guess

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-29-2005 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:58 AM
allthumbs
New User
just amazing

I mad a mess of mine 4 years ago and I have just been waiting for this site to figure it out!!! fishing line...

Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Fordbyford
Senior User
How did you mess yours up did you just rip it off?

Old 10-31-2005, 08:37 PM
allthumbs
New User
messed up

ah yup, just ripped it off, sticked to the side and then got smeared and peeled ect.... fishing line is brilliant!