Sponsored by: DP Tuner

newbie can use some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 PM
prplhz96
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation newbie can use some help

Well fellas, im new to the ford-truck site, but not to the breed. I have a problem with my 01 f550 diesel, and hopefully you guys can lend some advice. I parked the truck friday after work, and went to use start it yesterday am( i am a mason, it is mostly used for sand), and it wont start. I purchased the truck new, and never had any problems at all, all routine maintance was done, this truck is immaculate. First thing I notice after it wont start is the truck is low on fuel, so I add 10 gallons. The truck wasent empty( I think) it came home fine and I still had 1/8 on the gauge. So now I have a little more than a 1/4. Next I go to fuel filter, I replace it, still no start. Next I loosen the fittings on the bottom of the filter, with the key on to get the pump to push, and no air out of the lines just fuel. I checked all fuses, all grounds everything that I know. Now this next part might make some of you cringe but I was desperate ( gotta make a living ). I hook it up to my 350 and pull it to catch it in gear, still nothing. While I pulling it, (i was trying to catch it in 3rd), my rpm gauge didnt move(not sure if that is bad or not). But to make a long story short, it still is not running. Also put in a k@n, and checked oil while i was going over everything. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.Thanks

Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
sounds like your cps has gone bad... tach not moving while you are cranking the engine says that is the most likely culprit... do a search in this forum... lots of posts on this... not too hard to change... don't buy it at the dealership though unless you absolutely HAVE TO..! too much $$$

Old 10-18-2005, 07:36 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi prplhz96, welcome to FTE!

first take out the K&N. it will allow dirt in the size of your finger. (figuratively) upgrade to a www.fleetfilter.com part number 46637. the guys on here call it the "kiwk filter". check my gallery to see it. $30, a great "investment"(scroll over my name, click gallery.)
i believe your problem is a bad Cam Position Sensor. your problems are the symptoms of a bad CPS sensor. do a search for CMP, CPS, or Camshaft Position Sensor. good luck. i have seen new or working ones on ebay for $50-$100.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 780 Likes on 595 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
First check under the hood in the auxiliary panel for a blown fuse. You might have a shorted out fuel heater that will blow the fuse and cut the power to the ECU = no tachometer. If you find a blown fuse, unplug the electrical wire going to the fuel bowl down on the back side of it. It's the only one there, there are two wires in it, I believe. Put in a new fuse and see if it will start.
No blown fuses???
Go down to your local International truck dealer if you have one in your area and ask for a CMP sensor for a '01 T444E. It's International's version of the Powerstroke, uses the exact same part, and they charge half as much as the local Ford dealer. It's mounted on the front of the block right next to the crankshaft pulley at about the 10:00 o'clock position. One 10mm bolt and out it comes.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:02 PM
prplhz96
New User
alright, now for the stupid question, where under the hood can i find the aux. fuse panel. If I do find a blown fuse , and unplug the 2 wire harness, do i leave it unplugged when I relpace the fuse to get it started. Also I forgot to add before, my truck does have a dump body w/ pto. Dont know if that can have anything to do with it, but you never know(at least I dont). From the posts that I read most people have had stalling issues with their trucks before the cmp failed. I had no prior signs, is this something that you have heard of. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Last edited by prplhz96; 10-18-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 780 Likes on 595 Posts
On my '99 it's mounted right next to the master cylinder. It's a black rectangular box. You lift the lid and there's a bunch of fuses and relays.
Yes unplug the wire, then replace the fuse, and it should start just fine.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:35 PM
prplhz96
New User
Just wanted to say thanks for the help fellas. It was the CMP, I got it from the local international dealer, 102.00 after tax, alot cheaper than ford (180.00). You guys really saved my *** and my wallet. I appreciate it.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 PM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
Next thing to do is go on EBay and get a spare to keep in truck. I paid $55 including shipping. Will help you get going fast if you break down on week end or in distant lands. Good Luck. LPR

Old 10-19-2005, 07:05 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure to keep a 10mm wrench/socket with that CPS, because you need it to change it. one bolt.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:07 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by prplhz96
Just wanted to say thanks for the help fellas. It was the CMP, I got it from the local international dealer, 102.00 after tax, alot cheaper than ford (180.00). You guys really saved my *** and my wallet. I appreciate it.
just one more vote for FTE...!

Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
prplhz96, Isn't this a great site. After a number of years and saving only who knows how many dollars from the advice I've received here, I finally coughed up and became a "supporter" of FTE. It is a small payback for the help I've gotten on a number of different Ford trucks.