1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Bigger Injectors or Programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:09 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger Injectors or Programmer?

Okay, here is my question for all you diesel heads. I have a '95 F 350 CC 4x4. I want more power for towing and was wondering if I should go with bigger injectors, a programmer or both. Currently I have shimmed the FPR and done the 10K and the qwik filter mod. Also gutted the cat. I am pretty happy with the truck unloaded but like everyone else would like more towing power. I tow a 9000# toyhauler and a 3500# racecar. The car isn't a big deal but the toyhauler is pretty heavy when climbing the long steep grades here in Oregon. I am a;so running 3.55 gears with 255/85/16's. Thanks.

Mark

Old 10-18-2005, 12:25 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
a good chip would make a pretty big differnce. i run a tonywildman chip and it makes a big differnce but im still looking for more power im gonna add propane next then if that dosnt do it im gonna go bigger injectors im just going one at a time now. i ran big injectors a year back and didnt like all the other things that it brought and the fuel mileage. but i was running a 225cc shot injector. if you tow alot if you get injectors i would reccomend gettting an intercooler to keep thoose egt's in check. the ic will help quite a bit on thoose long hills by getting the motor a denser air charge. i think im probably gonna end up with a set of beans stage 1's but i need to get a new tranny and clutch to handle that. i will most likely continue to run the propane with the larger injectors. if you get injectors you will have to get a chip to beable to make the injectors run properly.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:42 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Thanks Jake, I was looking at The 130cc injectors from BDP but didn't know if I needed to run a chip or programmer to make them work properly. I had the intercooler in the back of my mind but I also am doing a little at a time. I have the Sonnax in the tranny now and it is sweet but don't know how much the tranny can handle even with it. Like I said the truck is awesome empty but towing is were I think it needs some help. That is pretty much what we use the truck for is towing. It gets used as a taxi sometimes on the weekends but mostly it is just for towing. Will a custom chip or programmer give me what I want without the injectors? Thanks again Jake.

Mark

Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
the chip alone will get you closer to it. but more fuel is more fuel.......im on the fence on the 130's (trannysavers) and the s'1. any injector will need a chip or programmer to get them to work right without it you really wouldnt even notice. i noticed my ic making a pretty good improvement on hills due to it being able to keep the intake air temps down. an ic a good chip and the 1.0ar turbo housing would make a pretty big differnce. 1.0 makes boost lot faster so you will have more boost running the hills with that. i tow 12k with stock injectors all the time. i think im gonna get the ts's or s'1 even after the propane just for the extra power.
on the auto the ts's should hurt it too much but it all depends on how many miles on the tranny and how you drive.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
I am in the same boat between the tranny savers and the stage 1's. I was leaning more toward the ts's. I guess if I do a chip and see if I can scrounge up an IC then see what it does. Can I get a custom chip without the tranny program? Since I have the Sonnax installed I see no need for a chip with the tranny program. I think the tranny has about 30K on it. It was supposed to be rebuilt before I bought the truck. I have had it for 7 months and put 10K on it and all is well. I did the Sonnax and changed the filter and fluid and it was clean and looked good. The truck now has 197K on it and runs great.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:41 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
tony wildman can do anything you want. you can do an ic for about $500 using a early 99 y pipe a sd ic and sd ic pipes. you have to modify the pipes a little you can use boots cause there too long one way and short the other. best way is to weld the pipe. gtsmotorsports has a kit that has the y pipe and pipe kit ready to go all yo uwould need is the sd ic.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:14 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Thanks, Jake. Where does Tony work out of? I have heard of him but not sure what site to go to. Also, is it best to look at a wrecking yard for a SD intercooler? What do the IC's usually run? Used or new. Thanks again Jake. I appreciate all your knowledge and help. Hopefully I can repay the favor some day.

Mark

Old 10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
MPlayer, pm sent.

luke

Old 10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Jake, PM me with price for IC. Thanks again.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:53 PM
MPlayer
Senior User
Lukecline, Thanks for the number. I will get a hold of him. I really appreciate it.

Mark