1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger Roll-over

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Northal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ranger Roll-over

Folks..my son's 1994 extended cab had a 'soft' roll-over the other day. Even the tow truck driver was impressed that only the driver's window broke and the rest of the glass was fine. Aside from the obvious body damage and window replacement, what sort of mechanical 'things' should be considered after a roll-over? It was on its head for an hour or so. We topped up the oil and checked other fluids. Its a standard transmission, will the fluid be ok?

Would appreciate any advice...repair advice...will address driving skills down the road.

Thanks

Al

Old 10-14-2005, 11:07 PM
jimw411
Elder User
I suggest investing in a good quality roll bar in the event of future roll overs.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:11 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you had to top off the oil, pull the plugs out and bar the engine over by hand. You might get lucky and the oil only came out the filler cap, but if it got into the cylinders, there's only one way to get the oil out of there.

Once you've barred the engine over a couple or 3 revolutions, go ahead and crank it over with the starter, still with the plugs out.

Now, with the injectors spraying fuel, you might have flooded your engine, so let it air out for a bit before you put the plugs back in. After about 15 minutes to a half hour, it should be ready to start.

Was the tranny and diffs topped off too? That could get expensive.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:13 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well check that transmission, since those plugs at the top are well known for leaking and it being upside down probably wouldn't help any. Make sure the body isn't warped at all and that everything (doors) open and close properly and that should be pretty much it. If it runs, it's a perfectly good truck. It's a Ford, after all...

Old 10-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Northal
New User
Thanks for the quick replies!

Sorry, I should have mentioned we did pull the plugs. They didn't look oily (badly worn but not likely because of the roll-over) but we did replace them. We started the truck and it blew smoke for 5 minutes or so and wouldn't idle well. After the smoke cleared-up the idle returned to normal..perhaps a coincidence?

Will check the tranny fluid.

Did manage to get a driver's window today. Was i supposed to buy new plastic discs that clamp the glass to the sliding frame? I drilled out the rivets and replaced with 1/4" bolts and locking nuts and used the old discs. This was all after the glass shops closed so I didn't get a chance to ask about the discs.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Northal
New User
Back on the road

Thanks again for the advice. No tranny or diff leaks. The Ranger is back on the road. Doesn't look as pretty as before but still drives straight!

al

Old 10-18-2005, 02:09 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if it blew out smoke it prolly was burning some oil that got into the cyliders

Matt

Old 10-18-2005, 08:17 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep check everything again in a week or so to make sure nothing's leaked any.

As for those plugs, did you find a way to replace them without pulling the shifter column? That would make my day if I could do that!