Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oilguard filter service

Old 10-17-2005, 04:21 PM
MattB_1442
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oilguard filter service

How often are you guys changing filters for extended oil changes?

I have an F350 PSD with about 120,000 miles and Oilguard bypass filter system. I've just had my first oil analysis performed with about 4200 miles on Rotella 10w-40 oil, which came back clean.

I'm getting some conflicting information about changing the filter elements. Oilguard recommends changing both the filter elements when the oil is changed. However, the person I spoke to at Lubetrak recommends changing the bypass filter element at 5,000 mile intervals, adding make-up oil, then changing the oil and both filters at 20,000 miles (with testing, of course).

This is the first vehicle I've had with bypass filtration and I want to make sure I service it properly. Thanks.
<!-- / message -->

Old 10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I change my oil and primary filter every 5K miles.
I change the OilGuard filter every other oil change or 10K miles.
Below norms results through Blackstone.
I have 76K miles on my PSD.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Hello
Senior User
Originally Posted by MattB_1442
How often are you guys changing filters for extended oil changes?

I have an F350 PSD with about 120,000 miles and Oilguard bypass filter system. I've just had my first oil analysis performed with about 4200 miles on Rotella 10w-40 oil, which came back clean.

I'm getting some conflicting information about changing the filter elements. Oilguard recommends changing both the filter elements when the oil is changed. However, the person I spoke to at Lubetrak recommends changing the bypass filter element at 5,000 mile intervals, adding make-up oil, then changing the oil and both filters at 20,000 miles (with testing, of course).

This is the first vehicle I've had with bypass filtration and I want to make sure I service it properly. Thanks.
<!-- / message -->
Lubetrak oil change intervals can be used with testing.
Everytime you change the Oilguard filter, you add just over a qt of make up oil. The old oil additives are being depleted more and more as the miles add up, so the makeup oil does increase the additives. Over the 20000 miles you add makeup oil 3 times. Only oil analysis will determine how much life you have in your oil. TBN should be high enough, and the viscosity should not drop too much. Your soot content in the oil should be fine though because of the bypass filter.
I also have the Oilguard bypass, and I have my own way of doing it too.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:30 PM
MattB_1442
Senior User
I had an interesting, educational coversation with one of the Oilguard techs today. I won't go into too much detail here, but if you want to find out DETAILED information to suit your particular truck and driving habits, talk to them.

They recommend testing every 5K, and change the oil & both filters when the test indicates low total base #'s. The bottom line is, changing the filters / oil as much as some do is a waste of $$.

Search this Thread